• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California I am being sued for an accident I am not involved with nor the driver.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teenpunkdrummer

What is the name of your state? California

I am being sued by allstate insurance for an accident I was not responsible for nor around or involved with in any way. I sold a car that was never registered in my name on craigslist for 300.00. Which I put my DL# which I am assuming is the way the individual gave my information out. I had to gotot the DMV as well and have a hearing to make sure my driving privledge was not effected due to the fact this individual has blamed this accident on me. Also, i did not keep the bill of sale as the amount of sale was so little and that this matter took place two years ago and I was just served with the suit just before the statute of limitations was up! I am only 22 years old and in college and very overwelmed with this...I could barely afford to pay for answer and no one will give me help without money. Another fact I hope will help me is, I have always had auto insurance and been in 3 accidents that have been my fault which my insurnace company has payed out 50k + on 3 different occassions. This suit I am being sued for 16k, does that work in my favor? please I really need help[ any info or free legal help would be appreciated.

stephenk

Were you insured at the time of the accident mentioned in the lawsuit? if yes, present the lawsuit to your carrier. They may afford coverage for defense (hiring an attorney) to at least get the matter dismissed against you.

If you have to do it on your own I strongly suggest you buy a book from Nolo Press on representing yourself in a civil suit. The company's books are very simple and detailed.

have you contacted Allstate's attorney to talk about what they have in support of the claim against you? Did Allstate ever contact you before the lawsuit to discuss their claim?

When you sold the car did you ever file with the DMV a Release of Liability, or change of registration, etc.? What did you do to notify the DMV that you no longer owned the car? How did you sell a car that was never registered to you in the first place?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">