• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had issues and didn't pay taxes in 2005

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

decalcentral

First off, I'm located in Kansas!

In 2005 I was working for a company as a subcontractor. I'd done so for a year or two before and everything always worked out fine. They gave me a 1099 at the end of the year and that was all I needed.

Towards the end of 2005 the company closed up and the guys who owned it disappeared. I managed to catch one of them on the phone once about trying to get a 1099 for my tax info and he said not to worry about it, that he didn't report that he'd paid any income for me.

Soon after that my wife filed for a divorce and suddenly I had more to worry about (not that taxes weren't important, but the divorce kicked my butt) and didn't ever get those taxes filed either state or federal, mostly because I had no idea how to go about doing it and had other things on my mind.

Since then I've gotten a "real job" and am up to date on my taxes other than that.

So how do I go about filing for this period that I missed? I generally have enough deductions that I'm owed a refund and don't have to pay anything in, does that matter?

I need to get it all taken care of, but don't know where to start.

Do I just file as self employed?? But what form do I use?

I am sooooo lost it's not even funny.

moburkes

You would file the same way that you previously filed. Since you won't have a 1099, use the monthly payments to come up with the amount that you were paid.

LdiJ

First off, I'm located in Kansas!

In 2005 I was working for a company as a subcontractor. I'd done so for a year or two before and everything always worked out fine. They gave me a 1099 at the end of the year and that was all I needed.

Towards the end of 2005 the company closed up and the guys who owned it disappeared. I managed to catch one of them on the phone once about trying to get a 1099 for my tax info and he said not to worry about it, that he didn't report that he'd paid any income for me.

Soon after that my wife filed for a divorce and suddenly I had more to worry about (not that taxes weren't important, but the divorce kicked my butt) and didn't ever get those taxes filed either state or federal, mostly because I had no idea how to go about doing it and had other things on my mind.

Since then I've gotten a "real job" and am up to date on my taxes other than that.

So how do I go about filing for this period that I missed? I generally have enough deductions that I'm owed a refund and don't have to pay anything in, does that matter?

I need to get it all taken care of, but don't know where to start.

Do I just file as self employed?? But what form do I use?

I am sooooo lost it's not even funny.
Its no where nearly as complicated as you think. Use a tax professional and take them your records of the amount you were paid for 2005. However, do not be surprized if you end up owing some tax.

If your ex-wife was working its likely that she filed her own taxes separately, and probably claimed any joint children that you have.

Get it handled ASAP. The longer you wait, the greater are the potential interest and penalties that you could have to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">