• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer Preference in Employment Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DonnieGray

Our company does a lot of subcontract work for a major government contractor. This "customer" wants our company to take on another role; however, they don't want a woman to fill the role. There are no bona fide occupational qualifications that would preclude a woman from doing the job, plus we have several women who are perfectly qualified who are available. I know that the major government contractor's action are illegal (in violation of Title VII). We aren't setting the requirements for the job, the customer (who is the major contractor) is. We'd be merely filling the role with someone that they desire. Ethically, I feel this is wrong. The question is, as a subcontractor, would we be committing an illegal act by complying? Are we commmitting sexual discrimination by fulfilling the role as they want (and does it make a difference whether or not we have qualified women on hand?)? Further, is there a legal case I can reference to back up the answer given?

S

squirrel_b8

just my thoughts.

My ex husband worked for a company and they had a female worker there highly qualified. Unfortunately clients preferred the men to do the work. Is it ethical that the tried to assign her to clients who had no preference - not in my mind. With all the legal research I have done on discrimination (ive done a lot) the company MAY be able to comply with the clients wishes of preferring men to do the work IF the company doing the work will suffer a hardship of somekind by assigning women to do the work.

Any other advice out there? I hope that what I said was understandable and as correct as what I have read.

Also, What I would do in this situation (seeing as how it is a govt based client) is write to your senators, congressmen and the like. :)

D

DonnieGray

I appreciate the response. I'd be interested to find others with some legal cases cited. By the way, the situation posed is purely hypothetical, but one that could come up in my business very easily.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">