• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfully charged with hit and run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

panini

What is the name of your state? Utah

I was recently driving to a client's office for work. At the corner of an intersection, I was making a right hand turn and bumped a gentleman that I hadn't noticed was crossing. I am at fault for that, yet I was also charged with hit and run.
Originally before the accident I was at a stop, and made my turn as the light changed to put traffic behind me. I had bumped the victim, who was now continuing to cross the street in the opposite direction that I was now headed. There was no shoulder on this busy street and traffic was directly behind me. I wanted to turn around, but rather than fight traffic, I thought I would make a left-hand turn. There was someone to my left and right, and I noticed I was going slower than the speed limit, so I sped up to get to the turn lane. As I did, I passed an intersection, and found that there was no median, just an island. I was still in the number 2 of four lanes of traffic (2nd from the left) and noticed that there was now an officer following behind me to the left. He was pointing me to pull to the right, so I did at the next available intersection, as there were parked cars in the outside fourth lane. At this point we were now three blocks away.
He got out and was agitated, and after a few minutes we both drove back to the injured man, who had continued walking to the opposite corner of the incident before someone had stopped him.
A firetruck came and a firefighter checked out the man, thinking he was alright. The officer then charged me with hit and run.

My story is the honest truth, I'm think I need legal advice. I don't have money for an attorney, and I don't think I have a big enough case to merit one. At the time I thought I was making the best judgment to help the man, but now I see how it could be looked upon as something it wasn't. Any incites, advice, terminology, etc to prepare me would be appreciated, as I have to appear before a misdemeanor court.

Ozark_Sophist

In heavy traffic, OP was trying to safely return to the scene of the accident. Before he could effect a u-turn, he was pulled over by a police officer.

You Are Guilty

I have no idea what you are trying to say.
Translation:
"I hit a pedestrian because I'm a bad driver. Then, rather than immediately stop and render aid like a good person would, I thought it would be better if I pulled over several blocks away. While looking for a suitable space to pull over, I floored it and tried to make a turn, but an officer was already following me and gave me a 'hit-and-run' ticket. I really wasn't running, but it might have looked like that to an outsider."

That help?

moburkes

Translation:
"I hit a pedestrian because I'm a bad driver. Then, rather than immediately stop and render aid like a good person would, I thought it would be better if I pulled over several blocks away. While looking for a suitable space to pull over, I floored it and tried to make a turn, but an officer was already following me and gave me a 'hit-and-run' ticket. I really wasn't running, but it might have looked like that to an outsider."

That help?
That's what I thought. It just came out all convoluted-like.

Shay-Pari'e

In heavy traffic, OP was trying to safely return to the scene of the accident. Before he could effect a u-turn, he was pulled over by a police officer.

In the middle lane? That's way off the beaten path OZ. You hit someone, you stop immedietly, who cares about traffic at that point?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree. But pedestrian did continue walking and checked out ok with fire and rescue. Remaining in the intersection may have increased the hazards for both OP and pedestrian.
True - but how was OP to know that from 3 blocks away?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">