• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former meth lab apartment. HELP.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rabblewabble

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My mother moved into an apartment several months ago. Through neighbors we recently discovered that there was a meth lab operating in the apartment, which was busted 2-3 years ago. The landlord never mentioned anything. This came to light only after my mother had been living there for several months and made friends with the neighbors. I have three main concerns.

1. From the little research I've done, I believe it is illegal for a landlord to not inform a new tenant that the unit has housed a meth lab. True?

2. I believe I read somewhere that a landlord is to keep detailed records of the measures taken to clean up the apartment for a certain number of years after the bust. True?

3. My mom has been getting sick lately. Dry heaves, headaches, etc. This may be because there was never adequate clean up, which would also explain why the landlord is so shady.

So the obvious question is what on earth do we do now? I feel pretty helpless, as my mom can't really fend for herself, has very little money (she's disabled and on social security) and I'm only 17. Can the police do anything or is this going to require civil action?

xylene

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My mother moved into an apartment several months ago. Through neighbors we recently discovered that there was a meth lab operating in the apartment, which was busted 2-3 years ago. The landlord never mentioned anything. This came to light only after my mother had been living there for several months and made friends with the neighbors. I have three main concerns.

1. From the little research I've done, I believe it is illegal for a landlord to not inform a new tenant that the unit has housed a meth lab. True?

2. I believe I read somewhere that a landlord is to keep detailed records of the measures taken to clean up the apartment for a certain number of years after the bust. True?

3. My mom has been getting sick lately. Dry heaves, headaches, etc. This may be because there was never adequate clean up, which would also explain why the landlord is so shady.

So the obvious question is what on earth do we do now? I feel pretty helpless, as my mom can't really fend for herself, has very little money (she's disabled and on social security) and I'm only 17. Can the police do anything or is this going to require civil action?

Point 1: Where did you come by this notion. If you have an actual law cite, please bring it to the table.

Point 2: Would be logical if point one is correct.

Prove point one is the case legally and that your landlord was bound by them and you are all set to recieve whatever damages the law might allow.

Please be warned that this might be as little as being allowed to break your lease without penalty (that is a guess only... I am not familiar with the meth notification law you claim exists, and what it allows for in terms of penalty.

I will also add that while a meth lab is a serious thing, I'm going to be honesty that if you claim illness as a consequential damage of the meth exposure, mom's disability is going to be the defense's scapegoat (and you should entertain the notion that it might be the cause of her symptoms.)

gawm

Maybe this is what OP is referring to.
http://www.nmtf.us/methlablocations/methlablocations.htm

SECTION 2. 25-18.5-103 Colorado Revised Statutes: "25-18.5-103. Discovery of an illegal drug laboratory - property owner - clean-up - liability. (1) (a) Upon notification from a peace officer that chemicals, equipment, or supplies indicative of an illegal drug laboratory are located on a property, or when an illegal drug laboratory used to manufacture methamphetamine is otherwise discovered and the property owner has received notice, the owner of any contaminated property shall meet the cleanup standards for property established by the board in section 25-18.5-102".

People smoking meth in an apartment and people making meth in a apartment are two very different things. Just because there was meth users in the apartment before, doesn't mean they were making meth there. Unless the police informed the apartment owner that it was, in fact, a meth lab, the apartment owner has no obligation to treat it as such. Her neighbors suspicions are not enough.

jaquin

Overexposure to meth fumes / manufacturing bypoducts look like large pimples on the face. The concern here is from gases and solvents. Both will be non-measurable after a month or so.

It is unlikely that you will prove overexposure. But you may inquire about cleanup measures following the described event.

I would ask the neighbours if police entered the property in bunny suites, and then reqest the landlord to provide me with the same type of suites.

dmf32835

If the landlord knowingly leased the residential property and it wasn't properly cleaned and aired out; then yes you have a case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">