• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle/dog accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zenwarrior2003

What is the name of your state? Michigan
Sorry, I posted this also under small claims court.
I had a dog cross the road and cause me to have an accident on my motorcycle, about $2,500. damage. I only have the state minimum insurance. A police report and written report of the accident was submitted to the County Ordinance Enforcement Div. who issued a ticket to the owner of the dog. I took pictures of where it happened (dog came out of the owners driveway) damage to the cycle and road abrasions to myself. Would I have a case in small claims court?
Thanks

moburkes

Seeing as you insist upon 2 threads, I'm answering on this one. You should really consider collision coverage. Why, you ask? Because, in the state of MI, a true No fault state, you repair your own vehicle in the event of an accident, regardless of fault. So, if you had been involved in an accident with a driver or pedestrian, the MOST you could recover from the at fault party is $500. You may find that, in small claims court, the same law will apply. Therefore, you'd be responsible for the other $2000 in damages.

janedoe23

Okay this may be a stupid question, but does the fault change say hitting the dog versus not hitting the dog? Let's say the dog came out and he avoided it and crashed into some trees the other scenario is the dog came out and he hit it and by hitting it caused the accident. Is the owner still at fault for the first scenario?

moburkes

Okay this may be a stupid question, but does the fault change say hitting the dog versus not hitting the dog? Let's say the dog came out and he avoided it and crashed into some trees the other scenario is the dog came out and he hit it and by hitting it caused the accident. Is the owner still at fault for the first scenario?
Hitting an animal: Comprehensive claim
Avoiding the animal and hitting the tree: Collision claim

ecmst12

I would say that most depends on whether the driver can PROVE that the dog ran out in front of him. If there was a witness that saw it happen, then maybe he could get a court to rule in his favor. But if it's just his WORD that the dog ran out, there's no evidence that it actually happened, so it would be hard to prove the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">