• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living Will Question/Estate Bank Acct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cats33

What is the name of your state? New York

My father recently passed away and left everything that wasn't joint, in trust for my mom. When I called their bank following SS directions, I was told that my mother would have to come in and close their joint acct and open an estate account. Everything is left to my mother so I don't see the need to do that? Can't I (she) eventually just have my father's name removed from the account? Plus he left his CDs in trust, can I just switch names (by sending in death certificate etc?)

I wish there was a simple check list to follow!

Thx,
Cat

tranquility

There is no simple checklist as there is nothing simple about it. Each bank, each investment and each institution will have a different set of rules they follow and differing levels of resistence to changing things. For example, Bank of America is a complete pain while Farmers & Merchants is slick and easy.

lwpat

If it is a joint account it is not part of the estate. The bank is incorrect. Withdraw the money and go to another bank. If the CD's are already in a trust then they should be in the name of the trust and no change is necessary. If they are to be placed in a trust the estate will have to take possession, pay all claims and then place the remainder in a trust. You will need an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">