• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signing over house when put in a nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doofus2861

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
My father in law was recently placed in a nursing home. My mother in law still lives in the house. Is it possible for her to sign the house over to my husband? She would like us to move in with her, but we do not want to do that if we are not listed on the deed or if there is a possibility medicaid will take the house. Thanks for your help.

seniorjudge

Q: Is it possible for her to sign the house over to my husband?

A: Ma and pa both have to sign, but the house could be taken by the government to pay for pa's bills.

tranquility

Medicaid will "look back" at any transfers when deciding the charge for costs. The house may have some protection with mother living there and they both continue to own it. That protection would be lost with a transfer. See an elder law attorney as this type of planning is specialized and may already be too late.

Ozark_Sophist

Generally, assets must be transferred for at least 90% of Fair Market Value (state by state requrements differ slightly) within Medicaid look back provisions. The state (taxpayers) are funding your grandfather's care and only seek to protect all taxpayers--not punish consumers of Medicaid. Without fiscal responsibility, states would not be able to fund Medicaid and your grandfather and others would not have the benefits associated with the program.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">