• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two accidents in two weeks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustAPal00

What is the name of your state? PA

My girlfriends car was hit twice in two weeks. Both were the other drivers fault. First she was backed into which damaged the hood and front right headlamp and grill. The second time I was driving it and was side swiped, damaging the left front fender and both left doors. When I took the car to the repair shop, he said he had to do the estimates separately. When you compare the two estimates side by side, there is some duplicate work. When the hood is fixed, you have to blend paint onto the left front fender, and when the left front fender is fixed, there is blending onto the hood. There are also a few other duplications, for example both estimates replace the left front reflector. If the jobs were done separately, this work would be required, but if the car gets all the work done at once, there should be some left over money. Who gets this money?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There shouldn't be any left over money (unless you intend to commit fraud)

JustAPal00

I don’t intend to defraud anyone, and since you guys were so adamant that I don’t have to repair my car and can keep the money, I would suppose that I could have whatever fixed I want! I was only asking because I asked the owner of the repair shop, and he kind of tap danced around the question. He said “of course they wouldn’t duplicate any work”, but he said he had to do it that way in case I wanted to have the work done separately, or not at all. Both “dents” are far enough apart that there is no overlapping damage. The total of the two claims is $2400, and very little is parts and installation (less than $800). That means $1600 is for paint and prep! You could paint the whole car for that, It’s a 2002 Saturn.

JustAPal00

There shouldn't be any left over money (unless you intend to commit fraud)
The reason there is money left over is when they fix the hood, they are charging for blending paint onto the fender. When they fix the fender, they are charging for blending onto the hood. If they do the jobs seperatly, they will have to do this. There was also a reflector, pin striping, and an emblem that need replaced because you have to break them to get them off! They are listed on both jobs and would need to be done twice If I elect to get the work done seperatly. If both jobs are done at the same time, this work only needs done once, with no blending of paint! The hood was damaged by my girlfriends sister-in-law. She has admitted guilt and we can get that fixed this week! The guy who sideswiped me is lying to his insurance company and Geico is dragging their feet. Even though the police report and the words he said to the police officer puts him at fault! That damage isn't getting fixed until the claim is settled. So we could have them fixed seperatly, or we could wait and have them both fixed at once!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The reason there is money left over is when they fix the hood, they are charging for blending paint onto the fender. When they fix the fender, they are charging for blending onto the hood. If they do the jobs seperatly, they will have to do this. There was also a reflector, pin striping, and an emblem that need replaced because you have to break them to get them off! They are listed on both jobs and would need to be done twice If I elect to get the work done seperatly. If both jobs are done at the same time, this work only needs done once, with no blending of paint! The hood was damaged by my girlfriends sister-in-law. She has admitted guilt and we can get that fixed this week! The guy who sideswiped me is lying to his insurance company and Geico is dragging their feet. Even though the police report and the words he said to the police officer puts him at fault! That damage isn't getting fixed until the claim is settled. So we could have them fixed seperatly, or we could wait and have them both fixed at once!
Get them fixed separately and there will be no extra money. Get them fixed together and the estimate will be lowered based on less work done (thus, no extra money). See how that works out so nicely? ;)

ssxm

thats right there shouldnt be any over lapping work at all the guy who gave you the estimate isnt thinking properly he should give you the full estimate of the first accident then use his imagination and imagine he did all the first estimates repairs then move on to giving you an estimate for the second accident. there should be no double work or extra money.

JustAPal00

His insurance company is dragging their feet, even though the investigator said his story doesn't add up! I would just like Geico to pay more for wasting my time!

JustAPal00

thats right there shouldnt be any over lapping work at all the guy who gave you the estimate isnt thinking properly he should give you the full estimate of the first accident then use his imagination and imagine he did all the first estimates repairs then move on to giving you an estimate for the second accident. there should be no double work or extra money.
The problem with that scenario is if I don't get the damage from the first accident fixed. As was pointed out to me on another post I don't have to do that. I can elect to only get the second accident fixed. If I do that then the second company will have to pay the full amount! This isn't a case where my fender was hit, and then hit again. In that case you would have to deduct out the damage from the first collision. This is just a case where some work would have to be duplicated. There is a charge for washing the exterior of the vehicle after the work is completed. That charge appears on both estimates! If I chose to have the same shop do both repairs at the same time, then it only needs washed once.

moburkes

Do you EVER use sentences so that your words make sense? EVER?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">