• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Hit an unlicensed uninsured motorist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssxm

i currently live in Upland,California my mother was at a red light and noticed her car was a little to much into the pedestrian cross walk so she proceeded to back up a little she says judging by where here car was and how much she baked up she figures she backed up no more then about 1 foot( in other words she was being tail gated). well the lady my mother hit said she was in a hurry and only wanted my mothers license plate and phone number. she didnt care to exhange any license numbers or insurance at this time. come to find out the lady calls my mother and she has no license and no insurance shes possibly even illegally here in the states. the police wasnt called and still no information other then cell number and license plate was taken from my mother. i told my mom that i didnt think she should have to cover this illegal alien with no license and no insurance. what are my mothers options. any help is appreciated thanks.

seniorjudge

...i told my mom that i didnt think she should have to cover this illegal alien with no license and no insurance....

You told your mother wrong.

Apologize.

ssxm

yeah i started looking some stuff up on the internet and i called state farm and the girl there hinted to me that "IF" i wanted to file a claim that was up to me. if my mother has to pay then she has insurance . in my eyes if this lady wasnt breaking laws by illegally operating a automobile my mother would have never hit her to begin with.

Betty

I agree with seniorjudge - your mother hit the other motorist so your mom is the responsible party.

ssxm

simply put. should she pay ? yes. but arent there laws being broken by the unlicensed person. why should a insurance company have to fork out possibly thousands of dollars on someone who shouldnt have been on the streets in the first place.i could possibly understand if they had a california license but to hit an someone with no license ? why should we be liable. im not purpously trying to come off as a prick or ******* and if we have to pay then so be it. i just wana educate myself with your help so next time i know what to do in this type of situation. thanks again for all the responses

moburkes

I agree with seniorjudge - your mother hit the other motorist so your mom is the responsible party.
If your mother wasn't illegally backing up into traffic, she wouldn't have to pay. If the person behind her was a different person and was driving legally, your mother would have to pay.

As was stated, you gave your mother incorrect advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, but had your mother legally operated her motor vehicle, then she wouldn't be in this position either. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Sorry Mo - didn't see your post before I replied :eek:

ssxm

i didnt know it was illegal to back up if your car is over the pedestrian cross walk. well it seems my question has been answered but since im hard headed ill countinue to look for a way around this thanks for all the help. seems like were gona pay in the end but it doesnt hurt to study up on these things.

Zigner

i didnt know it was illegal to back up if your car is over the pedestrian cross walk. well it seems my question has been answered but since im hard headed ill countinue to look for a way around this thanks for all the help. seems like were gona pay in the end but it doesnt hurt to study up on these things.
I'm not speaking about it being legal or illegal to back up "if your car is over the pedestrian cross walk." It is illegal to stop there in the first place. What I was actually addressing was the fact that it's NOT legal to back up when it's not safe to do so (in just about any case).

ssxm

geez its not legal to back up when it isnt safe ... who woulda thunk it. please stop trolling the forums.

Zigner

geez its not legal to back up when it isnt safe ... who woulda thunk it. please stop trolling the forums.
Oh brother - you seemed to think it when you were looking for a way for mum to weasel out of paying for the accident she caused!
:rolleyes:

K

knowitall

call them

call them on the phone and say i have a check for you come over and get it. then have IMMIGRATION there waiting for them. DEPORTED!!!!

ssxm

im sure you wouldnt wana pay for soemthing come to find out you never had to in the first place. this was a special curcumstance that had the same outcome as any other situation. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">