• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claim or not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mountaingirl

:confused:What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CO
This is a very boring incident but I'm having trouble finding info. My husband backed into a visitor's car on our property, estimate $1500 to replace two doors. We have $500 deductible. The police were not called.
Three questions: 1 - Is this considered a moving violation?
2 - In your estimate will our insurance company raise our insurance enough that it's not worth it to report the claim saving us $1000?
3 - Our company states in its description that it complies with state laws governing what accidents can warrant their raising our rates. Where can I find out what those laws are?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

ssxm

this wont help you but i completely totaled some girls poor car and my insurance went up roughly 10 $. the total damage was about 18,000 dollars. i live in california and had liability at the time.

seniorjudge

1 - Is this considered a moving violation?

A: Was he moving at the time of the accident?

2 - In your estimate will our insurance company raise our insurance enough that it's not worth it to report the claim saving us $1000?

A: My guess is a definite maybe or maybe not. Ask the insurance carrier.

3 - Our company states in its description that it complies with state laws governing what accidents can warrant their raising our rates. Where can I find out what those laws are?

A: Google colorado statutes and start reading.

alnorth

1) If he wasnt ticketed, probably not. However, it is an accident which is usually more serious for your insurance rates than a simple moving violation.

2) Depends on the insurance company. If you are a recent customer I would almost guarantee that you will see some kind of a rate increase, but your agent will have a better idea how much the increase would be. If you have been with certain companies for a long time without a claim in the last 3-5 years, they may forgive this first accident without a rate increase.

3) I'm not sure what Colorado allows as a chargable accident, but I have to believe your situation would qualify. It doesnt get much more "at-fault" than hitting a legally parked stationary car.

ecmst12

Important point that was missed:

You do not have a deductible for your LIABILITY coverage. Which is what will be paying for the car your husband damaged. You will not have to pay ANYTHING out of pocket for that.

Your deductible is for your COLLISION (or comprehensive) coverage, which covers damage to YOUR car, regardless of who caused the accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">