• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Live-in caregiver married my incapacitated mom-how do I annul &remove from home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lplegal

Live-in caregiver married my elderly mom-I have DPOA,how do I annul &remove from home

What is the name of your state? California
I have durable power of attorney for my mother and am the sole owner of her home. When we were looking for a new caregiver, my uncle suggested his friend and after 3 months, I suspected elder abuse, and now the caregiver just informed me that he is now married my mother! He lives with my mother full-time and is compensated from the in-home healthcare monies received from the gov't. There was no written rental agreement, no rent is collected from him, he just receives the monies as listed above. How do I get this marriage annulled and what are my rights to remove this man from my house? Do I have to give him a 30-day eviction notice or can I just immediately remove? Do I have to wait until the marriage is annulled to remove him from the house? Does my power of attorney cover or do I have to get a conservatorship? Help!:confused:

Last edited:

lwpat

You will need to follow the proper legal procedures to evict him from the house. If you suspect elder abuse then you need to contact the local agency and have them investigate. Immediately take your mother to a doctor and see if she is competent. You will need to petition the court to be named guardian, POA is not sufficient.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">