• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination in School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nancycap

This is regarding discrimination, but not in the workplace. However, this was the closest category I could find.

My husband and I feel that our son was discriminated against by the school's Head Basketball Coach because he would not allow our son the opportunity to try out for the Junior Varsity Squad.

Last year, my son and another boy were immediately moved up from the 8th grade basketball team to the 9th grade team because of their talent. The 9th grade coach told our son that he had no doubt that he would make the Junior Varsity team the following year. Our son is 6 foot 2 1/2 inches tall - one of the tallest boys in the whole school.

This year, when the boys went to try outs, the Head Coach told my son to leave because he had not been invited to try out - only the other 9th grader was invited. When we confronted the coach, he said it was his decision and it was up to him who tried out for his team and who didn't. The school board stood behind him.

Our argument is that EVERY CHILD should be allowed the opportunity to try out for a sport and then, if that coach wants to cut that child, he has the right to do so. We feel that this is discrimination and that our son's civil rights were violated. What steps can we take to pursuade the school board to change their policy to ensure that every child be given this opportunity and not be shut down before they even have a chance to prove themselves?

I would appreciate an attorney's view and advice on this.

racer72

I'm not an attorney and as much as I disagree with some of there viewpoints, the ACLU might be who you want to contact. They like to defend folks against all forms of injustice. In many states (including mine), any one that turns out for a sports team cannot be cut. This applies only to public supported schools.

N

Nancycap

Thank You

Thank you for your suggestion. I never would have thought of the ACLU. I have contacted them and I am in the processing of filing a complaint with their organization.

I still wouldn't mind hearing what views an attorney might have on this subject.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">