• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18mnth old son has never met his dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ReneeA7488

My 19month old son has never met his father he has been being held in a juvenile corection center since 2005 i would like some advice is there anyway i can take my baby to see his dad? he turned last may i thought that i could now but my boyfriends parents are saying i cant . isnt that my boyfriends choice? he wants to be there for his son but he cant. cant i have it court ordered or something PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

Just Blue

My 19month old son has never met his father he has been being held in a juvenile corection center since 2005 i would like some advice is there anyway i can take my baby to see his dad? he turned last may i thought that i could now but my boyfriends parents are saying i cant . isnt that my boyfriends choice? he wants to be there for his son but he cant. cant i have it court ordered or something PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
Why is he in a correctional facility? How old is he? How old are you?

CourtClerk

In what county is he being detained. Maybe we can find the visitation guidelines online. Good for you for wanting dad to be a part of baby's life.

Note: If he is in juvenile detention, it very well be the parent's decision on who visits, however, if nothing else, a phone call to the institution may clarify what should happen in the event a ward has children.

How old are you? How old is the father? Has paternity been established?

CJane

This sort of walks and talks like a Kelly, no?

My cousin's son was in a Juvenile facility in KS until this past winter... he was not allowed to have any visitors not approved by family members. That might be fairly standard, as part of the effort of juvenile facilities is to break the ties to the old friends who most likely contributed to the delinquency, so to speak.

I'm wondering if paternity was ever established. If so, the SON is family, but the MOTHER is not. So it's POSSIBLE the g-parents could take the child to meet his father. Though whether or not a jail is any kind of place for a not quite 2 year old is certainly up for debate. My son is the same age and I sure wouldn't be waiting in line for him to visit his father for the very first time in such a place.

CourtClerk

I can't speak for OK, that's why I asked for her county so I can research, however, here, it is completely up to the parents who visits the child while in juvenile detention. Doesn't matter that jr. is family, however, some counselors in the detention center may (barring there aren't any dv issues or other criminal issues) allow mom to bring jr. to the center (if she herself is an adult) to facilitate the visit.

She didn't mention it and it looks like she may have wanted to if you read the sentence, but it looks as if he wanted to say he just turned 18, which makes me wonder what her age is. If she is a minor, I don't see her being allowed to visit because then the detention center would now have to involve HER parents as she is not allowed to visit on her own. Sure, his parent's would be allowed to bring baby, but her, I'm quite sure not, especially if his parent's are already against it.

Now whether or not I'd allow my child to visit is a completely different story. 19 months or 19 years old, I don't want my kids anywhere NEAR a detention center, jail, etc. My oldest is now a deputy sheriff working in the jails, that is the only reason he's allowed in one now...:) however, there are many programs that take kids back and forth to facilitate a relationship with the parents and I can see both the bad and good in programs like that. It's just not for my kids, however, even with my ex, I don't see him going to jail (unless of course it's for non payment of support...LOL)

Indiana Filer

It might not be up to the juvenile's family as to who can visit. If the juvenile is in detention, he committed some sort of criminal offense. (To be there this long, it must have been more than just a minor offense.) Here in Indiana, it's up to the probation officer and/or the detention staff about who can visit. The families don't get to make the decision.

When I or my Court send juveniles to detention, I make the decision on who can visit. If I don't give permission, they don't get to visit, phone, or write. Our usual detention facility requests that it only be parents or grandparents, but they have made exceptions, upon my request.

When the Court agrees to send a juvenile to boys' or girls' school (Department of Correction), I make recommendations to the DOC about who can visit. The DOC has the final say, unless the judge agrees to order that someone NOT visit, based on my recommendation.

To the OP, contact the probation officer for the juvenile in the county where his disposition (sentencing) took place. They should be able to give you some guidance on whether or not you can take your child to the detention facility.

I'm a juvenile probation officer in Indiana.

CourtClerk

Indiana Flier...

I need your siggy on a tshirt AND on a plaque on my desk because everyone says I'm mean, but the reason is... exactly what's on your siggy.

CJane

Indiana Flier...

I need your siggy on a tshirt AND on a plaque on my desk because everyone says I'm mean, but the reason is... exactly what's on your siggy.
BAHAHAHAHAHA!

I think I should have that tattooed on my forehead... just to warn people.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">