• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statury Rape Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FC3S

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I am 17 and currently dating somebody who is only 15. It is not typical of me to date anybody younger than me (in fact, this is the first time) and it's a little odd, I must say. I would like to begin by saying that I get good grades (top 5% of my class) and am generally an honest, upright, integral member of my community. However, I turn 18 next month and she doesn't turn 16 until the end of November. We haven't had intercourse but we've talked about it and both agree that if it is for us it will wait a few more months anyway. So that means it might happen or it might not, but if it does it won't be fore a while. Assuming by that time I'm 18 and she's 16, would I be in violation of Minnesota's Statutory Rape law? I've read the law but it is still slightly hazy. Edit: Both of our parents approve of the relationship and I spend a lot of time at her house and eat dinner there, etc. I also work as an intern at a large regional medical center.

Last edited:

CourtClerk

I don't know if either of your sets of parents have told you this, but dating doesn't require sex. I know most of you teenagers don't realize it, but it is NOT NECESSARY to have sex.

So don't touch her. Besides, why not start out respecting young ladies and not using them for their bodies. It'll make you a much better person in the end.

Happy Trails

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I am 17 and currently dating somebody who is only 15. It is not typical of me to date anybody younger than me (in fact, this is the first time) and it's a little odd, I must say. I would like to begin by saying that I get good grades (top 5% of my class) and am generally an honest, upright, integral member of my community. However, I turn 18 next month and she doesn't turn 16 until the end of November. We haven't had intercourse but we've talked about it and both agree that if it is for us it will wait a few more months anyway. So that means it might happen or it might not, but if it does it won't be fore a while. Assuming by that time I'm 18 and she's 16, would I be in violation of Minnesota's Statutory Rape law? I've read the law but it is still slightly hazy. Edit: Both of our parents approve of the relationship and I spend a lot of time at her house and eat dinner there, etc. I also work as an intern at a large regional medical center.
I read the statute and there is nothing hazy about it.

las365

It actually sounds as if both of you are approaching this is a rather mature manner, so good for you on that. Since you have been discussing sex, have you also discussed birth control? YOU must use it and SHE must use it. By that I mean you use a condom even if she is on the pill. Every time. I suggest that you read the threads in this forum having to do with child support, custody and vistation. It could happen to you.

If you haven't talked about birth control then neither of you is ready to have sex.

It's nice that you spend time with her family. Keep your relationship such that you can look them in the eye with pride in your behavior. At sixteen, a young woman is physically ready and often eager for sex, but emotionally it is really too soon. At eighteen, you still have a lot of maturing to do as well.

Bottom line, if you have to ask if it's illegal, it is probably a bad idea to do it even if it is legal.

FC3S

I don't know if either of your sets of parents have told you this, but dating doesn't require sex. I know most of you teenagers don't realize it, but it is NOT NECESSARY to have sex.

So don't touch her. Besides, why not start out respecting young ladies and not using them for their bodies. It'll make you a much better person in the end.
We know it's not which is why we know that if we do decide to it won't be for a while... if at all. And I do respect women, to the point that I've never really done anything with girls. I have a reputation of being a true gentlemen in every sense of the word and I look down on womanizers. I cannot stand them. I am not using her for her body which is why I find my position here a little awkward (to say the least).

To everybody else, thanks. I think we are both mildly mature for our age though we both realize we don't know everything. Sex is a big deal and I just want to make sure I know all there is to know before we get serious about it. I wouldn't like going to jail for something this stupid, which is why I asked.

las365

we both realize we don't know everything.
That is a big indication of intelligence and maturity. You sound like you have good heads on your shoulders! Good luck to you both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">