• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 Year Old Wants To Move Out (NY) (Need Urgent Help)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

the_cast

What is the name of your state? New York (Western NY)

So my friend just turned 17 the other day and she's been trying to get out of her house for awhile. Its not a good situation for her and it also kind of interferes with her schooling. Her father doesn't want her to move out, but he's mainly the reason why she is trying to move out. She id planning on moving in with me and my father. I'm 18 and I don't mind fighting for her, but my father doesn't want to get into "legal trouble" because she's living in his house... Now my question...

Can a 17 year old refuse to come home, and insist on moving out with the people helping her facing repercussions? Or if she does move out against her fathers wishes, can we be brought up on charges or anything like that??

Simply, whats the law say about 17 year olds moving out.

Also, we are trying to find this information out as soon as possible because she goes to a private school and it starts on Wednesday. We talked with the school and since she will be switching districts if she moves out, they need to know before then so she can attend. If they dont know, they will not allow her to attend until she situation is settled.

Just Blue

So my friend just turned 17 the other day and she's been trying to get out of her house for awhile. Its not a good situation for her and it also kind of interferes with her schooling. Her father doesn't want her to move out, but he's mainly the reason why she is trying to move out. She id planning on moving in with me and my father. I'm 18 and I don't mind fighting for her, but my father doesn't want to get into "legal trouble" because she's living in his house... Now my question...

Can a 17 year old refuse to come home, and insist on moving out with the people helping her facing repercussions? Or if she does move out against her fathers wishes, can we be brought up on charges or anything like that??

Also, we are trying to find this information out as soon as possible because she goes to a private school and it starts on Wednesday. We talked with the school and since she will be switching districts if she moves out, they need to know before then so she can attend. If they dont know, they will not allow her to attend until she situation is settled.

It says if adults assist a MINOR runaway they are looking at anything from "Harboring a Runaway" to "Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor". Even worse if you two are having sex.

CdwJava

She can likely leave home at 18 ... until then, she is a minor child. If she leaves the home, the police can generally pick her up and bring her back home and any adults who assist her in being out of her parents' control can go to jail.

Your dad was right - and he does not want to go to jail to help her ... note YOU could also go to jail for it.

If things are so bad at home, maybe she can contact CPS (or whatever the equivalent is in NY). However, not wanting to follow the rules at home is not abuse (the most common reason teens want to leave). If CPS gets involved and they feel she is in danger, she can get placed into foster care where she should be safe.

- Carl

BL

http://empirestatecoalition.org/emanc.html

You are 18 and don't mind fighting for her ?

Are you enticing her to move in with you and your father , especially on the Internet ?

If so , you could find yourself in the big house .

Your father has just cause to be concerned and if I were him I'd flat out tell you , not in my house .

There may or may not be something her father can do at 17 , it all depends on the circumstances around her leaving the Parental Home , but if I were you , I'd encourage her to stay until at least 18 , unless she's being abused or terribly neglected .

TinkerBelleLuvr

"Helping" your friend by having her move in is called "custodial interference". Have her talk to a school counselor - someone who she can talk to see her option. Running away from her problems will only create more problems.

CourtClerk

So my friend just turned 17 the other day and she's been trying to get out of her house for awhile. Its not a good situation for her and it also kind of interferes with her schooling. Her father doesn't want her to move out, but he's mainly the reason why she is trying to move out.

ok

She id planning on moving in with me and my father. I'm 18 and I don't mind fighting for her,

do you mind going to jail for her? you're just a baby yourself, you can't fight for yourself good enough, what makes you think you can fight for someone just a few months younger than you?

but my father doesn't want to get into "legal trouble" because she's living in his house...

your father is a very smart man

Now my question...

Can a 17 year old refuse to come home,

sure she can, however with her decisions come consequences

and insist on moving out with the people helping her facing repercussions?

children can hardly insist on anything

Or if she does move out against her fathers wishes, can we be brought up on charges or anything like that??

not only can you, I as her parent would INSIST on it.

The law on children simply states... they can't without their parent's permission.

We who talked to her school? If you are speaking of you and/or your father you two are WAY OUT OF LINE and quite honestly, that relationship would terminate effective immediately. You my dear better watch your step, you're going to find yourself in a world of trouble I don't think you are quite prepared to deal with.

the_cast

I don't think i explained the situation's quite enough....

First off, baystategirl, the law says that 17 is NY is legal age of consent so you sex comment doesn't make sense...

also, we're not trying to make her move in here, we're trying to help her work out things out with her father, but his problem is that he is an abusive drunk. Not physically, but verbally. He hasn't taken her to a doctor in over 2 years, which she has begged him to. He doesn't buy her new clothes, he doesn't spend time with her or support her any in any way. The only thing he does is get drunk yell at her and blame her for everything wrong in his life...

She doesn't want to call CPS because she was taken away from him before and lived in different foster homes for 2 or 3 years because of similar situation's and she loves her dad and doesn't want him to go through any trouble.

And "we" talking to the school would be her and i... I graduated from that school, and I'm going to be an intern there, and they know her situation's and understand the problems her and her father had in the past.

So... she's trying to find a way out of her house without getting her dad in trouble.

Silverplum

First off, baystategirl, the law says that 17 is NY is legal age of consent so you sex comment doesn't make sense...

also, we're not trying to make her move in here, we're trying to help her work out things out with her father, but his problem is that he is an abusive drunk. Not physically, but verbally. He hasn't taken her to a doctor in over 2 years, which she has begged him to. He doesn't buy her new clothes, he doesn't spend time with her or support her any in any way. The only thing he does is get drunk yell at her and blame her for everything wrong in his life...

She doesn't want to call CPS because she was taken away from him before and lived in different foster homes for 2 or 3 years because of similar situation's and she loves her dad and doesn't want him to go through any trouble.

And "we" talking to the school would be her and i... I graduated from that school, and I'm going to be an intern there, and they know her situation's and understand the problems her and her father had in the past.

So... she's trying to find a way out of her house without getting her dad in trouble.
MYOB.
or
Hire her an attorney.
or
Hire yourself an attorney.
or
we're back to MYOB again.

CdwJava

Even if so, there are crimes against encouraging children to runaway and to be out of the control of their parent(s).

And when this was reported to DFCS what did their report conclude?

Oh ... wait ... I bet it has NOT been reported yet, has it? And if it had been, and abuse or neglect was determined, she would have been removed into foster care. Because dad is a lout does not mean she can take off.

Then she has two choices: Live with it til she's 18, or, call CPS/DFCS. If she gets dad's permission, she can leave, but that doesn't sound like it's the case.

Not easy to do unless he agrees. She cannot just up and go unless she doesn't mind being carried back or going back into foster care.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">