• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by person in parking lot out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scott1ct

What is the name of your state? CT

I was hit by a person backing out of a parking spot in Massachusetts. Minor damage to both vehicles. She claims she didn't see me when backing out. I tried to exchange info but she claimed to not have any insurance information. So at that point I called the police. the police would not fill out an accident investigation (gave us forms to fill out) and also told me that drivers don't need to carry insurance cards. So now, after calling my insurance, they claim I am the one who has to file a claim with the other person's insurance to try to reclaim for the damages to my vehicle. The other driver keeps giving me the "when I find my insurance card I'll call you" excuse.

What is my recourse? Since I don't have collision, but I'm still not "at fault", I need to fight the other person who caused the accident to first get her to give me the insuance info, then fight her insurance company?

Any help is much appreciated.

scott

justalayman

How much was the damage?

do you have uninsured motorist coverage?

Basically, if the damage is within the range of small claims court, you simply sue her (hern not her insurance company) for the damages (after getting an estimate of course) and quite screwing around with this.

If she finally admits she does not have insurance, make a claim against your insurance and let them go after the other person.

scott1ct

The damage was scratches to my bumper, down to the primer as well as cracked headlight and turn signal. It's an older vehicle so probably around 400-700. Her vehicle was newer but an SUV so she mostly had scratches under her rear bumper.

You have to carry uninsured motorist coverage in my state but she did claim to have insurance and I'm sure she just is trying to keep this from me to see if I just go away and don't file a claim against her.

So my option is to either call my insurance agent and tell them she can't show any proof of insurance so to file against her under my uninsured motorist coverage or else file a small claims action against her for the damages?

Is the insurance carrier for a motorist be kept on file with the registrar? Is that within public domain if I call with the person's name and license plate?

I don't think I can just coldcall every insurance agent in the state until I get the right one.

justalayman

Is the insurance carrier for a motorist be kept on file with the registrar? Is that within public domain if I call with the person's name and license plate?
QUOTE]

I would think so. I would try to call the DMV (or whatever you call it in your state) and ask. If they cannot provide info, then you are probably relegated to one of the two actions I mentioned.

If you apply to make a claim with your insurance, they may come up with an insurance company for you.

ecmst12

Your insurance company might be able to determine the other driver's insurance information, too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">