• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not paying taxes for 10 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

olgasosa

What is the name of your state? Outside the US
MY USC husband lives abroad since 1996 and has been unemployed that long.His father supported him. Now the father died and he want to go back to US and work there. He did not file taxes because he was totally unaware that was an obligation even living abroad. As I (the wife) am not US citizen He filed a petition for me, so researching for the requirements for my petition I came to the taxes issue when we need to have a co-sponsor to support me in case of need.
So He wants to know what He can do, and to know really if he had the obligation to file or not.
If he had whaT is the penalties ec
Thanks
Olga

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Outside the US
MY USC husband lives abroad since 1996 and has been unemployed that long.His father supported him. Now the father died and he want to go back to US and work there. He did not file taxes because he was totally unaware that was an obligation even living abroad. As I (the wife) am not US citizen He filed a petition for me, so researching for the requirements for my petition I came to the taxes issue when we need to have a co-sponsor to support me in case of need.
So He wants to know what He can do, and to know really if he had the obligation to file or not.
If he had whaT is the penalties ec
Thanks
Olga
If he was being supported by his father he was not obligated to report that support as income. It would have been his father's obligation to report that support as a gift.

However, if he was working for his father as an employee or an independent contractor, then he was obligated to file US tax returns, but he would have also had a foreign income exclusion that would have exempted a large amount of that income from US tax.

Your husband needs a consult with a tax preparer who is familiar with US tax law.

abezon

He should file the returns. Between the gifts, foreign earned income, & foreign tax credits, he may not even owe any taxes, & your immigration will be held up until he does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">