• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 year old ...moving out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlie

What is the name of your state? Idaho

My 17 year old granddaughter has lived with me her whole life. recently we have decided to let her move with her 22 year old boyfriend. He is a good kid and i know will take care of her. i know she will do okay, but i want to know how we can do this without her emancipating herself. if i concent can he still get in trouble? will i get in trouble?
please i just need answers, not opinons..
thanks

Ozark_Sophist

Are you the legal guardian? Otherwise it doesn't matter if you consent. Boyfriend could be guilty of statutory rape. (IS guilty if they engage in sexual relations)

18-6101. RAPE DEFINED. Rape is defined as the penetration, however
slight, of the oral, anal or vaginal opening with the perpetrator's penis
accomplished with a female under any one (1) of the following circumstances:
1. Where the female is under the age of eighteen (18) years.

Last edited:
P

pacarox

What is the name of your state? Idaho

My 17 year old granddaughter has lived with me her whole life. recently we have decided to let her move with her 22 year old boyfriend. He is a good kid and i know will take care of her. i know she will do okay, but i want to know how we can do this without her emancipating herself. if i concent can he still get in trouble? will i get in trouble?
please i just need answers, not opinons..
thanks
I was in this identical situation and I called a local police officer and discussed this scenario, and basically what it boils down to is...as long as boyfriend and girlfriend get along and guardian doesnt protest against the underage violation...then you face no worries, BUT, if they (boyfrined and girlfriend) end up in some crazy argument for instance, they are in their underwear...neighbors call police, police respond...the police always have the option of pressing charges for statutory if they so choose. Another option would be for them to relocate to a state where the legal age of consent is 16 and then everything will be okay...good luck...us parents have waaayyy too much to worry about these days.

karlie

so...as long as i say its okay (and i am her legal guardian) than no one can get in trouble.

Indiana Filer

so...as long as i say its okay (and i am her legal guardian) than no one can get in trouble.
I find it amazing that a grandmother would hate her granddaughter so much that she would allow the CHILD to move out to live with an ADULT boyfriend. I certainly wouldn't support the prostitution of my grandchildren. Actually, I'm against the prostitution of all children.

Doodle1

I can't see where any of this would be legal without her being emanciapted as an adult. She needs to wait until she is 18 and the fact that you are ok with this is a bit concerning.

yeah, I just joined the other day and so far I am seriosly discouraged by what I've seen. You have NO IDEA what the circumstances of the situation are, so why can't you take your philosophizing elsewhere. Have you ever thought that maybe the relationship this girl has with this man maybe more then physical? You people need to stop being so damn judgemental. And by the way, at 17 years old, your more then capable of making adult decisions so people should bugger off. Of course, while I do belive the people in this forum are way overly judgemental, I will say this. I do hope that your intent is pure and that you actually care enough about your granddaughter to not let anything bad happen to her. I wouldn't make the assumption of character either way.

Doodle1

yeah, I just joined the other day and so far I am seriosly discouraged by what I've seen. You have NO IDEA what the circumstances of the situation are, so why can't you take your philosophizing elsewhere. Have you ever thought that maybe the relationship this girl has with this man maybe more then physical? You people need to stop being so damn judgemental. And by the way, at 17 years old, your more then capable of making adult decisions so people should bugger off. Of course, while I do belive the people in this forum are way overly judgemental, I will say this. I do hope that your intent is pure and that you actually care enough about your granddaughter to not let anything bad happen to her. I wouldn't make the assumption of character either way.
You are right. We do not know the entire circumstances but the fact of the matter is this is a LEGAL forum. What you are discussing is illegal, child neglect and possibly statutory rape so by all means let that 17 year old make her own decisions because someone there obviously has to.

It's not illegal for them to live together is it(with guardian consent of course)? So as long as they know that they can be arrested like in one of those wierd scenario's mentioned by pacarox they won't let the police know their having sex and all will be well.

Doodle1

It's not illegal for them to live together is it(with guardian consent of course)? So as long as they know that they can be arrested like in one of those wierd scenario's mentioned by pacarox they won't let the police know their having sex and all will be well.
The prosecution rests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">