• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help getting into the army

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My state is Virginia
Ok, this is a bit of a strange situation. I am 17 years old, I will turn 18 in july next year. In october, custody of me will be transferred to my dad, who does not have the financial resources to put me through another year of school. In addition to this, I have been wanting to enlist in the army for a long time so now I'm trying to get there as fast as possible. Step 1, is to get a GED. Now I've run into a bit of a problem. These are the laws under which my state allows minors to take a GED test.
1) Home Schooled

Applicants under eighteen years of age, but at least sixteen years of age, must provide the GED examiner with documentation signed by the superintendent/designee certifying that the applicant has completed a home instruction program.

2) Released from Compulsory Attendance

Applicants under eighteen years of age, but at least sixteen years of age, must provide the GED examiner with documentation signed by the division superintendent/designee certifying that the applicant has been released from compulsory attendance by the local school board.

Emancipated and adjudicated minors are subject to the compulsory attendance law, unless released by the local school board.

3) Alternative Education

Students for whom an ISAEP has been granted may take the GED Tests when the division superintendent/designee provides the GED examiner with the completed GED Options for Selected Students Enrolled in Secondary Schools GED Testing Authorization Form. ISAEP students must achieve a minimum score of 450 on each of the subtests of the Official GED Practice Test before this form may be submitted.

4) Adult Correctional Facility

Applicants under eighteen years of age, but at least sixteen years of age, must provide the GED examiner with documentation signed by the Department of Correctional Education that the individual is actively pursuing a GED certificate.

5) Expelled from School

Applicants under eighteen years of age, but at least sixteen years of age, must provide the GED examiner with documentation signed by the division superintendent/designee certifying that the applicant has been expelled from school.

6) Court Ordered

Applicants under eighteen years of age, but at least sixteen years of age, must provide the GED examiner with documentation signed by the judge ordering the applicant to participate in the GED testing program.

Option 1, is out. We don't have the financial resources for home schooling.
Option 2, is plausible. I have my sister, my aunt(also guardian), and my army recruiter working on this option.
Option 3, is out. I recently learned that the waiting list is 20 people long in our school and they have 5 people take the course at a time. I only have another month of living in this city.
Option 4, is out. I am not, nor have ever been incarcirated.
Option 6, is unlikely. I don't have enough time to go through all that red tape.
Option 5, is also plausible, and may turn out to be my only way of getting things done.

So, my question is this: What can I do in school to get myself expelled that is not illegal?
One idea I had was to bring a confederate flag to school but it was suggested that this would be considered "hate crime." Another idea I had was to bring, but not smoke, cigarrettes to school(by the way, I don't smoke but I know some who do). The idea being that maybe possesion would not be enough to get me in legal troubles. I'm seriously doubt these are the questions yall are use to answering but if anyone could help me out I would be very greatful.

PS, I don't attend to actually use option 5 unless it proves absolutely necessary. It is my contingency plan, but as a contingency plan it should be infallible. Thank you in advance for your help.

moburkes

Public school is free. The NCP should be paying child support. Why would custody be transferred if he can't support you?

Public school is free, but it takes the place of a full time job(eating, is not free, not to mention all the school supplies). And custody is being transferred for personal reasons. Actually its pretty much so that he can sign a piece of paper putting me in the army. Look basically my life sucks, but I'm trying to deal with it the best I can, if you'd answer the question, I'd be greatful.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So why can't Dad work, get disability, get welfare?

And what makes you think the Army is going to be thrilled to have a 17yo drop-out who was expelled?

omg, I wish someone would answer the question. There are more complicated aspects of the situation and I REALLY don't feel like going into my personal life. Oh, and I know they'd be thrilled to have me because I've spoken to my recruiter. Infact, he's working on option 2 for me right now.

oh, I SEE. You all thought I was asking you to resolve my home life. No, I was asking if any of you knew a good way I could get expelled without technically breaking the law. Refer to the last paragraph in my OP aside from the post script.

xylene

Why not enlist in the army after graduating and / or taking the GED when you turn 18?

Am I not understanding something?

you people and your opinions, I'm not trying to escape anything, I'm doing this because I have to. I know I have a chance of dying, I'm at peace with god so I'll be allright.

xylene

that is correct, you are not understanding my homelife situation. I don't have that much time or financial resources.
You don't have 9 months? As a minor.... :confused:

The reality is you aren't getting a GED before age 18. My calendar say you get a regular old High School diploma before that. (Assuming you pass)

PS - You have a right to go to school. :rolleyes:

So - OPTIONS
1) Go to high school and graduate

2) Quit school, work until 18 and get a GED.

Their is no hair-brained 'get expelled but no record' third option.

Option 2 is much worse, leaves you with a Good Enough Diploma (IE a blemish) and less career options in the service and in the civilian life... I don't know you well enough to be anything but brutally honest about that.

Ok, xylene, care to put some money where your mouth is. I guarantee you that I will not only have my GED, but I will also be in the army prior to the end of this year. I came here hoping that maybe someone would be capable of thinking outside the box, but I see that I can not expect that of you. And by the way, just to let you know, there's more then one state in this big country of ours and my dad is willing to take me elsewhere to procure a GED if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">