• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elindeau

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My son in law recieved a summons for non paid medical bills, resulting from a wreck in which he was a passenge. The driver of the car (who was at fault), in which he was riding in the back seat of, told police she had insurance at the wreck site. Later, after the fact, everyone found out that she did not. My son in law was treated at the hospital and is being sued for the amount owed. He had just started a new job and his insurance had not kicked in. This happen prior to him being married, while he was still living with his parents and on their car insurance (It was not their car). Could their insurance pay for the bills, even tho he was in someone else's car? Or does he have to sue her for the bills?
How do you respond to a summons, I know he only has a certain amount of time to do it in. He is young, 20 now. I am trying to help him do this the correct way and not get taken for someone else's neglect.

moburkes

Depending upon how long ago the accident was, if he was on his parents' policy, and his parents had uninsured motorist coverage, and/or PIP coverage which included household members, then yes.

elindeau

How long?

Kentucky!
It's been almost a year since the accident. So ever how long that they started billing him there after. A few months later.
So in responding to the summons, who do we address, the court or the collections? What contents does it need to include? I assume, why he's not paid, and what actions he is will be taking to resolve this matter?

ecmst12

The first thing he should do is contact his parent's insurance company to see if they will provide coverage and if so, will they deal with the hospital or collection agency directly. Then go from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">