• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rkel

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Recently, I was traveling eastbound on the Interstate. A semi truck merged onto the the same interstate, also eastbound. The semi truck was hauling a rear dump trailer and the driver did not secure the rear gate (it was flapping open and shut freely) and consequently dumped a good deal of aggregate debris onto the highway. One of the rocks that fell out of the trailer bounced up and broke my windshield. I took down the information on the truck and called my insurance comapny. My insurance company would only pay for a windshield repair, not a replacement. So - the windshield repair company came out and was unable to repair and said the windshield will need to be replaced (at my expense). I went ahead and contacted the trucking company to see if they would take care of this for me, they refused (and were very combative about the situation).

If I take this case to small claims court it will essentially be a case of my word against his (I don't have a witness). Anyone have any thoughts on me being succesful in recovering the monetary damages in this situation?

ecmst12

Not likely, without a witness. Word vs word usually ends up being a draw.

If your windshield can't be repaired and has to be replaced, then your insurance WILL cover it, but only after your deductible, which if it's $500, then the replacement cost is probably less than your deductible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">