• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's Dog Caused Motorcycle Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jwebster

What is the name of your state? Alabama

My husband slowed down when he saw the neighbor's dog on the side of the road. He ran off the road when the dog ran at him & laid the motorcycle over. He only sustained minor injuries, road scrapes, bruising & stiffness. His bike didn't fare so well. The handlebars were bent to the point of not being usable, the tank crinkled in, broken tail light & broken sissy bar. We do have a leash law & the dog has chased my car several times. Animal Control hasn't caught the dog & now has caused an accident. Is the owner responsible for the damages? It is negligence on their part. What action should I take? One local attorney said to let our auto insurance co take care of it since there was no major injury.

moburkes

Your husband should contact his insurance company. His comprehensive coverage will cover the damage to the vehicle. His insurance company will help get the deductible back. If he has medical payments coverage or PIP on his policy, that will pay any medical bills. If he has none of the above coverages, sue the owner in small claims court.

jjcmontana

I would try to take photos, or catch on video where this dog is not on a leash, and regularly "chases" cars, people, etc... if you have called Animal Control before because of the problem, contact them again and ask for copies of the complaints you or anyone has filed about the dog. Then file a claim against the their home owner's policy. You AND your insurance shouldn't have to pay a dime for someone else's negligence.

moburkes

I would try to take photos, or catch on video where this dog is not on a leash, and regularly "chases" cars, people, etc... if you have called Animal Control before because of the problem, contact them again and ask for copies of the complaints you or anyone has filed about the dog. Then file a claim against the their home owner's policy. You AND your insurance shouldn't have to pay a dime for someone else's negligence.
You can't file a HO claim unless they cooperate by providing the name/phone number of their insurance company. OPs insurance company will gladly follow up to get all parties reimbursed.

Jwebster

TY both. We have contacted the insurance company & called Animal Control so hopefully something will work out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">