• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using an LLC to pay for law school? Write-off?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am a paralegal for a law firm and am about to enter law school. I also have an LLC that I use as a document preparing company for friends I know to review leases, draft articles of incorporation/organization and so forth. It provides passive income for me for relativley little work. However, my question.

I want to have my own firm (it would be an P.C. S-Corp election) my current LLC will be the majority shareholder. Can I have my current LLC pay for law school and use it as a tax write-off?

Interesting. Although my attorney offered to pay for part of my law school. If I were to accept that arrangement wouldn't "the firm" (being the corporation) pay for my law school? I'm sure he wouldn't shell out 30-50K of his own money to pay for law school. How would he write that off?

And the same goes for me in the future after I'm an attorney. If I have an employee and want to pay for their law school, how would I write it off?

abezon

It's a fringe benefit of employment -- the employer can write off about $5,000 of employment assistance. More than that is taxable wages.

tranquility

I agree with the other posters, but believe the current amount is $5,250. Also, to qualify, it generally needs to be a part of an educational assistance program. Someone can look up the actual requirements, but I recall:
1. It has to be a written plan.
2. It can't favor highly compensated employees.
3. Certain percentage limitation applies to owners. (In other words, only a certain percentage of the program's benefits can go to owners.)
4. All eligible employes must be notified of the program.

I think there is another requirement, but don't know it offhand. Anyone?

szchrist422

How about this?

What if you are employed by the LLC as a legal assistant/advisor and the company requires that you obtain a JD/LLM and pass the bar in order to maintain your current position? Can't you write off the expenses incurred to obtain your degree to maintain your job?

davew128

How about you start your own thread so we can tell you why you're wrong, rather than necroposting in a FOUR YEAR OLD one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">