• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brothel write off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

youngalky

What is the name of your state? CA
Is it legal to write off services provided at a Nevada brothel if i live in CA?

tranquility

Sorry to steal the joy from a Friday, I hope I can still have some pudding.

No, you cannot deduct payments to a legal brothel. Not suprisingly, this has come up before. The last time was in Vitale v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 1999-131 (April 21, 1999) where a budget analyst for the U.S. Treasury department was preparing for his retirement. He wanted to be a writer and came up with the idea to write a book about two guys travelling across the country to go to a brothel in Nevada. The tax court found that the expenses he paid "interviewing" prostitutes while traveling across the country, while having a profit motive in mind-were so personal in nature so as to preclude their deductibility.

Silverplum

Sorry to steal the joy from a Friday, I hope I can still have some pudding.

No, you cannot deduct payments to a legal brothel. Not suprisingly, this has come up before. The last time was in Vitale v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 1999-131 (April 21, 1999) where a budget analyst for the U.S. Treasury department was preparing for his retirement. He wanted to be a writer and came up with the idea to write a book about two guys travelling across the country to go to a brothel in Nevada. The tax court found that the expenses he paid "interviewing" prostitutes while traveling across the country, while having a profit motive in mind-were so personal in nature so as to preclude their deductibility.
Definitely Rum Pudding for you! No joy stolen...just wanted to enjoy the *fun.* :D :p

irsos

You are right, you do not get it. You write off expenses - not income. And that was not I was referring to anyway.

tranquility

I suppose, if the actual "treatment" (as opposed to travel and lodging) exceeded 7.5% of your income and was provided by a psychiatrist for sexual dysfunction, it might fly.

So, how is Dr. Trixie?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">