• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Young driver car accident! NEED ADVICE =[

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sethforsaken

What is the name of your state? Maryland.
Ok, so I was at a 3 way intersection thats kind of odd there is one road going straight and the way from which i was coming from isint straight to the intersection its kind of displaced anyways. I was stopped at a stop sign and at this intersection you have to turn your whole body almost completely around to see to the right and then look back to your left. After I stopped I looked left turned all the way around and turn back straight and then started going I know this was a bad move on my part but their was absolutely NO cars on the left when i first looked. So I started going a little faster than normal because there were some cars on the left that were approaching but I was positive I would make it. Then about when my car's back end was almost out of the halfway of the street a 99 ford truck hit me and spun my car around from almost straight to completely around and this is on a 30mph road so OBVIOUSLY he was speeding, his car was totalled because the radiator got smashed and I couldnt get out because the back door was pinching the front door and their was glass everywhere. So I pulled to the side of the road and this old guy about 60 gets out kind of just really easily strides to my car and asks if im ok and calls the cops. At this point im really worried because this was my first car accident. Eventually the cops come ask us both of our stories and the whole time their talking to this guy and I even see them laughing and that kind of puzzles me because when your car gets totalled I dont think you can be happy at all. And he keeps striding back and forth from the police to his car to me. So finally it comes where it becomes my fault becuase he had the right of way and the police distinctly said to me even if he was doing 200mph it would have been my fault because he had the right of way... ok so I understand that 150$ but then the insurance company calls us up almost a week later and they wont even check out our car to give us an estimate and now he's claming injuries! WHAT! The WHOLE TIME he was just happy as can be. So me and my family start going over all of this. 1. NO skid marks, he didint even try to hit the breaks. 2. He kept asking about air bags .. so Obviously he knows he was going fast. 3. HE TOTALED HIS CAR IN A 30 OBVIOUSLY he wasnt going 30 eh?. 4. the WHOLE TIME he didint even seem hurt at all and he was just fine as can be. Also we've come to find out his 99 had 100,000 miles on it... soo uh who wouldnt get in a car accident and know they wouldnt be blamed because it was with a kid and they're much older and have a peice of **** car.. and then claim injuries so they can milk as much money out of the situation as possible... sorry if this is fuzzy explanations at all I'm kinda in a rush, busy first year college student also have someone moving in with me and I have to get a part time job again and pay this off.... but if you could give me some advice we're going to try to bring this to court, and if any part needs to be redescribed please ask for it. Thank you SOO much if you help me.

ecmst12

Ok I didn't read your whole post because it was too hard to read. Use paragraphs and include only the essential information.

But basically, if you had a stop sign and he did not, regardless of how fast he was going, you are at fault. You are liable for his property damage and injuries. Have you reported it to your insurance company? If not, do so IMMEDIATELY. They will take care of everything and let you know what they need from you.

JustAPal00

First of all a 99 probably had anti lock breaks, thus no skid marks. Second you are at fault because you had a stop sign and he didn't. Third he will only get what a 99 with 100,000 miles is worth, so if he buys a new truck he pays the difference. Fourth I do agree that the injury sounds a little suspicious, but that's the American way "get in a wreck and claim an invisible injury!"

sethforsaken

well my dad has a feeling something was wrong with the guys breaks and he asked the insurance company to look at the damages on our car and check out his truck breaks and they wont, they refused too. also about the breaks thing yeah, he wouldnt have had skid marks but if he would have atleast tried to hit his breaks this would have been completely avoided easily. and now thanks to all of this my dad's giving me hell, i feel like **** and i could only wish i would have gotten hurt in this accident -_-

JustAPal00

If there was somebody behind him that says he never hit the brakes, you might be able to make the VERY slim argument that he tried to hit you to collect on the insurance!

ecmst12

The other car's brakes possibly not working do not change the fact that the accident was your fault. The other driver having slow reaction time and possibly not trying to brake (which you can NOT prove at all) does not change the fact that the accident was your fault.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">