• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i need to return the money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aztekprnss

What is the name of your state? California
:confused: I was in an accident last year in california. the other person was at fault. my car was fixed and a year later, his insurance company sends me a check for loss of property. now, after i spent the money, they are saying i need to pay them back because the check was supposed to go to my insurance company not me. what should i do?

JustAPal00

I'm assuming that your insurance company paid for the repairs to your car. If that is the case, you must repay the money. Also hope you don't get charged with insurance fraud. What were you thinking? You had to know that it was a mistake, and that you couldn't collect twice for the same wreck!

aztekprnss

thank you for your quick response but no, unfortunately, i didnt know or i wouldn't have cashed the check and therefore, i wouldn't have been asking for advice. I was hoping it was for my pain and suffering. Thanks again! :D

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...now, after i spent the money, they are saying i need to pay them back because the check was supposed to go to my insurance company not me. what should i do?
What seems strange to me is that the other parties' insurance company is contacting you. It should be YOUR insurance company calling you...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">