• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit While Parked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AGUI

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

My car, while parked on the street near my residence was hit by another car . I was not home at the time of the accident but my family was and my brother in law took pictures of the damage, called the authorities and filed both a police report and claim with the driver's insurance company. The driver is not giving the insurance a statement and said they are retaining an attorney, therefore they (insurance) will not accept liability. Meanwhile, I am without a vehicle (2+ weeks). I've filed a claim w/my insurance as well but I only have liability and uninsured collision which cannot cover because the driver IS insured. Do I just need to wait this out or do I have another recourse? I have pictures of damage.

ecmst12

You need to wait at least a reasonable time for the insurance company to complete their investigation. This can take up to 30 days. If at that time they still do not have a decision, you can get an estimate from a local shop and sue the driver in small claims court for the repair cost. That's really your only recourse.

AGUI

I guess it's a waiting game from here. I just want to get this resolved -hopefully I'll have an answer soon. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">