• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gift tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lam3345

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My Parents have 130K invested in my brothers home w/ him.....he just did a 40K cash out refi in order to give me 20% downpayment for my house. My Parents are on title but not on mortgage w/ him so the money was cashed out in his name. My mortgage guy said for him to get a cashiers check and make it from him, to me and then I just give the check directly to the builder and we sign a gift letter provided by the mortgage company stating that I dont have to re-pay the obligation of the 40K. Now my questions are as follows: Is my brother allowed to Gift me 40K without incurring any gift taxes? WIll the mortgage company report the gift to the IRS? Should he first sign ghte check ovr to my parents and then they in turn gift me the money? WHat would be the best way to execute this transaction w/out incurring any gift tax?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My Parents have 130K invested in my brothers home w/ him.....he just did a 40K cash out refi in order to give me 20% downpayment for my house. My Parents are on title but not on mortgage w/ him so the money was cashed out in his name. My mortgage guy said for him to get a cashiers check and make it from him, to me and then I just give the check directly to the builder and we sign a gift letter provided by the mortgage company stating that I dont have to re-pay the obligation of the 40K. Now my questions are as follows: Is my brother allowed to Gift me 40K without incurring any gift taxes? WIll the mortgage company report the gift to the IRS? Should he first sign ghte check ovr to my parents and then they in turn gift me the money? WHat would be the best way to execute this transaction w/out incurring any gift tax?
Unless your brother has already exceeded his lifetime exclusion for gifting (1 million dollars) there won't be any gift tax. However, he will perhaps have to file a gift tax return to report the gift, since it is in excess of the 12k allowed per year.

However, if you are married, and you have children, he can divide up the gift between the members of your family, and possibly avoid having to file a gift tax return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">