• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Excess Capital Loss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

run_n_fool

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hello,

I am in a situation where I have a large capital loss for the year (net of gains). My understanding is that the IRS allows a $3,000 loss per year. If I apply this loss to my 2007 taxes, does the excess loss over the $3,000 allowance carry over to the next and subsequent years (assuming it still outstrips any gains)?

Also is there any way to take all or a larger portion of the loss in this year?

Thanks!

abezon

Yes. Your tax pro or software should print out a worksheet detailing any carryforward short- & long-term losses for use on the 2008 return.

TinkerBelleLuvr

The IRS will let you make as much of a gain as you can stand per year, but caps your losses at $3000 per year, which may be split between long term or short term losses.

As stated, you'll get a sheet with your taxes tallying up the carryover for the following years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">