• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thedirtycuban

What is the name of your state? New York

I have recently made the decision that I would like to move out of my house I can no longer stay in my house because of family issues. My family is not physically abusive more on the lines of verbally abusive I can never do anything right by them and this constant fighting every day is only making me fall deeper in to depression,grades and mental health fall. I am a 17 year old male I live in a very ghetto town full of drug dealers and gangs I was arrested last year and currently being charged with felony breaking and entering and misdemeanor position of stolen goods. I had to pay for my own loyer from my college funds that came from my dead grandmother I had no choice in the matter because of custodian rights also found out that my dad has been playing with my money alot moving things around and putting some of my money in his own bank account.

I am trying to get away from this life style and have a new start I have a full time job I can pay for my own apartment and utilities but I had a few questions about becoming emancipated be for moving out.

1.If I wer to become emancipated what rights would I have over my money that is still left over that he has not taken yet and how would I find out what was left for me.

2.How would I start this processes what would be the chances of the judge saying yes with or with out my family signing the papers.

3.Would my current situation have any effect on the judges decision.

4.How long would this processes take from start to finish.

5.List any other things I should know or that you think I missed please

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:

thedirtycuban

It has nothing to do with not paying from what I may or may not of done I already did a month in jail and payed 7500 for my loyer I would only be moving 20 minutes away. I am my own person and would like to start my life sooner I feel like I can not sick out one more year with this family or this town I am sick of the life I lead now and I would like the 2nd change and I think this is the right way of doing it. The money which I speak of is money from my dead grandmother 10k I siad it was fine I would pay the 7500 but he took the rest and put it in his bank acc I found paper showing that he was taking money from other accs to so.... I still have about 20k from family left but I dont know what hes done with it or how to find out what is mine and if I can get it back.

Last edited:

BL

It has nothing to do with not paying from what I may or may not of done I already did a month in jail and payed 7500 for my loyer I would only be moving 20 minutes away. I am my own person and would like to start my life sooner I feel like I can not sick out one more year with this family or this town I am sick of the life I lead now and I would like the 2nd change and I think this is the right way of doing it. The money which I speak of is money from my dead grandmother 10k I siad it was fine I would pay the 7500 but he took the rest and put it in his bank acc I found paper showing that he was taking money from other accs to so.... I still have about 20k from family left but I dont know what hes done with it or how to find out what is mine and if I can get it back.
Read the link I posted .

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
" I am a 17 year old male...currently being charged with felony breaking and entering and misdemeanor position of stolen goods. "

This, right there, means that your chance of being emancipated is exactly zero.

Ozark_Sophist

i agree. if you had behaved yourself, you would have had a chance of being emancipated. but since YOU decided to break the law and go into a place you had no business being in, and taking things or having possession of things you knew didnt belong to you, you'll have to suck it up, because no judge will emancipate a criminal such as yourself.
Umm... What about that whole concept in American Jurisprudence about innocent until proven guilty?

Ozark_Sophist

" I am a 17 year old male...currently being charged with felony breaking and entering and misdemeanor position of stolen goods. "

This, right there, means that your chance of being emancipated is exactly zero.
Which part, the male part? :D;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Emancipation is not a right; it is a privilege. The court is not going to emancipate a teen that has been in legal trouble. It's got nothing to do with innocent till proven guilty - emancipation is very, very rare and is reserved for those teens who have already shown they have the maturity to be on their own, something that our poster is going to have a hard time proving based on what he has said.

MAYBE one teen out of every thousand who applies for emancipation is actually granted it. And that is a favorable estimate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">