• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insuring a car out of home state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greenda4

What is the name of your state? California

Hi,

My wife is in school out of state and I wanted to know if it is possible to get a car insurance policy out there for her car (if it's cheaper) even though she has CA registration.

Thanks,

greenda4

ecmst12

Your insurance should be wherever your permanent residence is. If she's living in another state, then she could get insurance there, but she should also change her registration to that address as long as she will be there. If she only lives there for part of the year though, and maintains her CA address as the permanent one, then that's where her insurance and registration should be.

greenda4

If I took my wife off of the coverage on my car policy and she drives the vehicle when she is in town and something happens is she covered by default because we are married??

greenda4

ecmst12

You are married, that means she has to be listed on the policy in order to be covered. Because she is assumed to have regular use of the car, they need to take her driving record and other risk factors into account when they rate the policy. You can have her as the secondary driver of your car, if that is the case, but if you take her off the policy, she probably won't be covered to drive the car when she's in town.

You should explain the situation to your insurance agent and ask if there is a way for you to save money while still keeping her covered when she is in town and driving the car.

fcobarr

she may need to get another license in order to get insurance in another state. Getting a license will require changing residency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">