• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Companions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lab7

What is the name of your state? MI

My daughter (age 21, which is the legal drinking age in MI) has been hanging around underage drinkers from work. She says that they are good kids, but they are prone to excess. She attends parties or goes to bars with a group of these kids, but she goes as the designated non-drinking driver. My question: would she be held responsible because she did not prevent the under-aged kids from drinking at a party (not at her house) if one of them got sick from over-drinking and ended up in the hospital, or she got pulled over while driving them home while they were drunk (even though she was sober), or one of the many scenarios the creative mind of a worried mom could imagine?

Thank you!

The Occultist

I do not know MI laws on alcohol, so instead I will say what I know about AZ alcohol laws. Technically, those are useless to you since it's a different state, but there may be similarities.

Firstly, if caught with minors who are in possession or have consumed alcohol, she might get charged with providing the alcohol to the minors, even if she didn't.

Secondly, when a drunk person comes into contact with a sober person, and the sober person let's that drunk person continue on their merry way, and that drunk person gets hurt, the way the screwed up laws in Arizona stand, that sober person could be held responsible to a degree for not attempting to find the drunken idiot safe passage to a safe location.

Your daughter, for her own safety, should stay away from minors while they are drinking.

quincy

Michigan laws are similar.

Your daughter could be charged under at least 2 different sections of the Michigan Penal Code - for encouraging or enducing in any way a minor to enter or remain at a place where alcohol is sold, given away or furnished, and for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Both are misdemeanors punishable by a fine of up to $500 and/or up to 90 days in jail.

You would be wise to tell your daughter that, when she is with these friends, there should be no consumption of alcohol. The friends will be in trouble if caught, and so will your daughter.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? MI

My daughter (age 21, which is the legal drinking age in MI) has been hanging around underage drinkers from work. She says that they are good kids, but they are prone to excess. She attends parties or goes to bars with a group of these kids, but she goes as the designated non-drinking driver. My question: would she be held responsible because she did not prevent the under-aged kids from drinking at a party (not at her house) if one of them got sick from over-drinking and ended up in the hospital, or she got pulled over while driving them home while they were drunk (even though she was sober), or one of the many scenarios the creative mind of a worried mom could imagine?

Thank you!
**A: huh, how could they be good kids if they do all that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">