• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Avoiding 50% penalty for tardiness in taking IRA RMDs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B2M

What is the name of your state? California

I was tardy in taking the 2006 RMDs for my deceased mother's IRAs and took them in Q1 of 2007. The IRS says to file Form 5329 and a letter of explanation for the tardiness to avoid the 50% penalty. My mother's accountant said to not send in the form but to wait to see if the IRS requests it. But the people at the IRS phone bank say that the form is required and that I must send it in. Should I be proactive and send in the form and letter or wait for the IRS to come knocking?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?

abezon

The IRS is a huge bureaucracy -- it's unwise to send it things randomly. You'd either have to file an amended return with the form, or wait for a CP2000 letter, then send the form to make it go away. The CP2000 folks are quite reasonable to deal with, so I'd wait for them. You might get the form/letter prepared now & stick it in with mom's tax return so it's ready to go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">