• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Negotiating with insurance Adjustor - Maryland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

graci

I am in Md and had a terrible accident on Monday. I was driving my 4 month old baby to his daycare and then was heading to work. It was a terrible accident...My car was a total loss (estimated value came to $21000). My baby (crossing fingers) looks fine. I still look at him and cry (my poor little baby had to go through all this). I had terrible pain after the accident and briefly passed out. Both me and my baby were taken to emergency. I still have terrible neck, chest and knee pain. I went to my doctor today (after 4 days) for a follow up visit and she said that I need physical therapy, some more rest and maybe take another week off from work. The insurance adjustor from the other company had called me yesterday and said that he wanted to settle and that he would pay all the emergency bills, 4 days time off from work, 5 days of car rental and a couple more doctors visits for me and my baby. By then I didn't know that my doctor is going to give me a note for another week from work off. I have bad pain but was planning to go back to work on Monday...didn't want to use up all my sick leaves.
I am not sure how to go about talking about pain and suffering with the adjustor. Is there a set amount?...I have pain but I can certainly perform some physical activities and go to work. What would be the best way to go about it???

ecmst12

DO NOT SETTLE NOW. Wait until your treatment is finished and you are feeling back to normal again. Then you submit all your medical bills to them at once and they will offer you a settlement. If you like it, take it. If not, consult an attorney. But in no circumstances should you try to settle now when you don't know what the long term damages (if any) will be.

It is ok to settle for your property damage, you just need to wait to settle your injury claim.

tranquility

I agree with ecmst12, don't settle now. You have no idea of your injuries less than a week after a major accident. While property damage is known or can be guessed at, your personal injury will take some time to develop. There is no rush and I promise the offer will not be less next time they talk with you.

graci

Thanks for the responses. I am not even sure if they are going compensate me anything for pain and suffering or any extra days off from work. I mean... I don't want to take more leaves if they are not going to pay me. How does the settlement for pain and suffering work?

moburkes

You need to first find out how much liability coverage the at fault party has. You can't be compensated by the insurance company for more coverage than what the at fault party paid for.

graci

My doctor has asked me to stay home all week again. My PIP coverage is only $2500 and my insurance said that they would pay me only upto $2500 in loss of wages and medical. I am going to exhaust everything just with the loss of wages...How would I go about claiming my medical???

graci

No I am not...my doctor has asked me to get physical therapy which could continue for a few weeks. Do I need an attorney...Do they get negotiate something that I myself could not???

graci

I am not sure. I know that she has minimum $25000 property damage coverage...but the adjustor said that they have enough to pay for medical bills. I am not sure how much is enough though.

moburkes

Bodily injury is separate from property damage. I'll have to look when I get to work, cause I'm too tired tonight. Until you know what your medical bills are, I can't really answer your questions. I'm going to venture a guess that their per person liability is $25000 or $50000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">