• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First car accident, help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thursdaymovie

What is the name of your state? California

I was in my first car accident tonight. I was going about 25 miles down a busy street when the car in front of me stopped suddenly. I braked but it was too late and I hit. It wasn't too bad of a hit, kind like bumper cars. We both pulled over, and I got out with my three friends also in the car. I went over to the car and the women inside looked like she was in shock and very distressed.

Luckily, no one was hurt. The women explained that someone jumped out of the street into the cross walk in front of her. She said that it wasn't my fault. She got out of the car and we both looked at the damage, but found that there was hardly a few scratches on her car, and a bent license plate on mine. The women still seemed very shocked and upset, but not angry.

She talked a little about calling the police and her husband but no one called. She then asked for my friend to call her daughter. There was no answer so my friend left a short message saying that her mom was in a accident and she'd be over soon, also that she was okay. Basically that was it and we left. The women was almost in tears the whole time and so was I! We didn't engage names or numbers or anything.

There was no damage but I'm in so much fear still. If this gets reported my parents will for sure take away my car. I am still worried that when she comes out of shock she'll want to contact me. All she has is my friend's cell phone number on her daughter's answering machine.

I don't know I guess I'm just still shaken up about everything. Can she legally pursue me still? What do you think would happen? Any advice would be wonderful. I don't really know what to expect.

justalayman

=thursdaymovie;1718699]
If this gets reported my parents will for sure take away my car.
well, apparently you are too young and not responsible enough to be driving. If you are willing to leave your parents out of the loop because "they will take away my car", you should not be on the road.

I am still worried that when she comes out of shock she'll want to contact me.
Good.

All she has is my friend's cell phone number on her daughter's answering machine.
Seems like it would be a good place for her to start looking should she want to contact you though.

Can she legally pursue me still?
If she want or needs to, absolutely.

What do you think would happen?
If it is as you say, nothing.

Any advice would be wonderful.
Learn to accept your responsibilities and face up to them, even if it means you lose your car. So what happens if your parents not only find out you were in an accident but then LIED to them about it? (lying by omission is still lying)

ecmst12

She said that it wasn't my fault.
She is wrong, it is absolutely and most definitely 100% your fault. You should do the right, legal, and honest thing and report the accident to your insurance right away. If she doesn't want to make a claim for the damages, that's ok, but she should be given the opportunity to, so it doesn't come back later to bite you in the butt!

first..as to blame or fault...it's yours. you were following too close to the car in front of you and you did not have control enough of your car to make a safe stop without hitting the car in front of you. you need to leave enough space and not tailgate or pay closer attention to changing situations. hopefully you learned your lesson seeing as you are a young driver.
second, the police could have been notified, but seeing as the damage were so minor, they might not have shown up. you two should have exchanged info and let the insurance companies haggle it out. did she get your plate number and name?
it doesn't sound to me, that any info was exchanged. hopefully she wont file a claim that she is suffering neck problems and also any dents or scratches she might have in the back. she might have to do some work in getting a hold of you, but she might have more info than you think. she might have written your plate number down without you knowing.
the problem i would have is that she didn't care to exchange info or report it to the police. this can work both ways in protecting each others rights....least thats my IMHO

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">