• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walking away from deposit on a home... is the loss tax deductible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkivler

What is the name of your state? Florida

Back in November of 2006, I put a $12,700.00 deposit down on a
pre-construction condo. Due to the drop in market prices (plus the
fact that I haven't been able to sell my current residence), I decided
not to go through with the deal and forfeit the deposit to the
builder.

Is the loss of this deposit tax deductible? If so, how is
it categorized?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Florida

Back in November of 2006, I put a $12,700.00 deposit down on a
pre-construction condo. Due to the drop in market prices (plus the
fact that I haven't been able to sell my current residence), I decided
not to go through with the deal and forfeit the deposit to the
builder.

Is the loss of this deposit tax deductible? If so, how is
it categorized?
I have never had that question come up before....not in over 20 years of doing taxes. However, I am pretty sure that the answer is that its not deductible, but it would be interesting to know if anyone else has a different opinion.

Snipes5

If the condo was to be a personal residence, then no, forfeit of the deposit is not deductible.

If the condo was to be an investment, then *maybe* the deposit is deductible, but probably not.

Snipes

abezon

I actually had to research this issue this year -- in the US & Canada. If you lost the deposit because of a sudden, unanticipated event, you might be able to characterize the event as a theft or casualty loss. An example would be putting down earnest money on a house the "seller" didn't actually own. Since the seller was committing theft by fraud, you'd be able to claim a theft loss, if the earnest money was big enough to exceed 10% of your AGI.

Other than those narrow circumstances, you can't deduct the lost earnest money; you can add it to the basis of the next house you buy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">