• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Tip the Legal secretary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My claim just settled out of court and I didn't know if I should tip the legal secretary.

Do they typically get a commision on the law offices 35% or do they grind their salary just like I do?

If she gets a commision then she is taken care of, but if not I'd like to get her a mall gift certificate for a couple hundred for the work she's done for me.

Thanks

las365

Non-lawyers are not allowed to get contingent fees (percentage of the settlement). Staff like legal secretaries and paralegals are usually paid by the hour or are on salary, and many receive bonuses - sometimes related to a particular case, but usually reflecting overall how well the firm is doing.

Thank you gifts are always appreciated. I would check with the attorney prior to giving a gift just to make sure that there is not some policy against the secretary accepting it - you don't want to inadvertently put her in a bad position. It would also be very nice if you wrote a letter to her and her boss describing your appreciation for what she did. That can not only give her a warm fuzzy feeling, it can go into her personnel file for use in considering future raises.

People are cynical about attorneys and law firms - sometimes with good reason - but I can tel you that we care about our clients and about helping them. Getting appreciative feedback tells us that we are successful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">