• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Goku01

Hi I live in Texas and I am extremely frustrated with my workplace and supervisor. I reported to my supervisor that a fellow coworker had used profanity towards me infront of other workers. My supervisor informed me that it would not happen again and had a talk with him. Well this happened two other times after that first incident with the same coworker. Today it happened again with a different coworker. She referred to me in a profane word as I was leaving the office building. When I asked her if she just called me a ...(vulgar word), she told me to just leave. I had an incident with her prior to todays, where she didn't use any profanity but made a snide remark about me. I let my superviser know about that incident as well. Today he said, "Didn't she make a remark towards you before?", I said yes and he said that he would speak to her and that what he will do is confidential and couldn't tell me how he was going to handle it. I feel that I am being harassed and my supervisor is not doing anything to help. What can I do to keep this from becoming an even bigger problem. I am getting really stressed from the whole situation. I always handle myself in a professional manner but it is becoming a little difficult when this kind of conduct is not being dealt with. Can you please help me. I don't know what to do.

R

robin64

As we say in State government: "If it's not in writing, it didn't happen".
The key is, if this continues to be a pervasive disruption to your work environment:
A DIARY (note dates, times if necessary, when this was reported, and to whom). Then report and document any continued incidents (repercussions) - control yourself & don't respond to the person. If the supervisor's actions were sufficient, the remarks should stop.
If the situation doesn't improve, you have to make a decision whether or not the job is worth fighting for (if you can, request a transfer). You might even want to get signed-up for all the company-paid training you can so that your resume will be all the more attractive to another employer. A few words of advice: "Choose your battles carefully".
(Not a lawyer, just someone who had experienced several years of harassment & several waiting for the EEOC wheels of justice to churn.)

G

Goku01

Thank you

Thanks for the advice. That's a great idea. I'll go ahead and make documentations. Thanks once again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">