• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pedestrian compensation from hit&run

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manonwheels

In Texas two weeks ago, a friend was a pedestrian on a sidewalk along a street when she was struck by a auto and boat trailer. There were witnesses, but no one has a description of the auto. The friend does not remember any details of the event, and was neither under the influence of alcohol or drugs. the friend was injuries, but declined to be taken to the hospital by the ambulance because she did not have money to pay for any treatment. I believe the police responded as well.

Is there anyway to receive compensation for medical treatment she seeks now? Any recommendations what she should do?What is the name of your state?

Shay-Pari'e

Out of luck buddy. If she does need medical treatment, there are ways of getting in. Let's start with walking into the Emergency room.

Amazing, a trailer even? What did she do from there? She declined treatment.

manonwheels

It's a small county and there aren't any 'charity' hospitals. Seems one hospital will take $600 and let her pay something 'forever'. She is just starting a new (low paying) job and health insurance will start in several months, but the injuries are affecting her ability to work. I have scrapped the $600 together, but I fear the expenses are beyond her ability to ever pay the expenses especially if she needs an MRI or surgery. She has car and home insurance, but she wasn't in her car (she was walking to retrieve it after a flat tire) and she wasn't on her property.

Maybe just sucking it up is all she can do, and that is sad.

las365

Your friend needs to apply for help from the Texas Crime Victims' Compensation Fund.

Every law enforcement agency in Texas is required to provide victims of crime with information about the Crime Victims' Compensation program and an application. Applications are also available from prosecutors' offices. Hospitals and medical centers may also have applications.
You may also get an application directly from the Crime Victims' Compensation Program in the Office of the Attorney General by calling 1-800-983-9933.
http://www.oag.state.tx.us/victims/cvc.shtml#whatcrimes

manonwheels

las365 - Thank you so very much. That is exactly the kind of program I was hoping existed. Not living in Texas myself, I was not familiar with what might be in place. I have sent the link to my firend. Thanks again.

ecmst12

If she has medical payments or PIP coverage on her car insurance, or even Uninsured Motorist coverage, that will provide coverage for this accident, even though she was not in a car at the time.

las365

You are very welcome. From the info on the site, it sounds as if she will qualify for help. The suggestion that she look into her own PIP and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is also spot on.

moburkes

If she has medical payments or PIP coverage on her car insurance, or even Uninsured Motorist coverage, that will provide coverage for this accident, even though she was not in a car at the time.
Very good response.

I, too, am confused on how/why the friend was hit by both a vehicle and a trailer, but didn't need immediate medical attention.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Zig, why did you delete your post? I agree with it. However, that is NOT what the OP wrote.
You're quick!
I agree that it's not what OP posted - but I think it's what OP intended to say.
I deleted the post because I was responding to your comment questioning why medical treatment wasn't sought immediately. And, my post wasn't an appropriate response to your post :)

manonwheels

Very good response.

I, too, am confused on how/why the friend was hit by both a vehicle and a trailer, but didn't need immediate medical attention.
It is my understanding the vehicle passed and she was thrown into the guardrail and landed in the street, maybe even lost consciousness. No one is sure of 'exactly' what happened. The police and ambulance were there when she came too, but she declined to go to the hospital because she knew she could not afford treatment and believed she was 'okay', at least able to walk away. That of course seems both rational and un-rational, but what I understand happened. It wasn't like there was blood gushing out of massive wounds after all.

Now, one or two weeks later, the injuries are affecting her ability to work and concentrate. I believe she has a concussion and possible facial fractures, and some bad bruising of the legs.

manonwheels

Does she have any of the coverages I mentioned on her auto insurance?
I believe she does and I suggested that possibility to her right after the accident. She contacted her agent and was told it would not pay. I don't know if that was because it really would not or because the agent was just being unhelpful. She went to the hospital Sunday morning and I have not heard anything from her since. I will ask again about those parts of the policies.

moburkes

I believe she does and I suggested that possibility to her right after the accident. She contacted her agent and was told it would not pay. I don't know if that was because it really would not or because the agent was just being unhelpful. She went to the hospital Sunday morning and I have not heard anything from her since. I will ask again about those parts of the policies.
Ask her what coverages she has on her policy. She shouldn't be contacting her agent. She should be contacting the claims department - but only if she has coverage that will pay.

manonwheels

Ask her what coverages she has on her policy. She shouldn't be contacting her agent. She should be contacting the claims department - but only if she has coverage that will pay.
I looked up the generic definition of PIP coverage and it does include when the policy holder is a pedestrian. I then looked up PIP in Texas and it is mandatory, though you can sign a waiver to exclude it. I have sent an e-mail to her with this info.

Thanks for all the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">