• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Car driver sueing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mwh524

What is the name of your state? Colorado

In january I was involved in an accident on I-70. I hit another car (rental car). I am insured with full coverage insurance. Now, months after the accident, the driver of the other car is trying to get me to pay the excess amount. It turns out that the rental car company totaled out the car, while my insurance company refused to pay the amount - they wouldn't have totaled the car - and paid a lesser amount. The driver did not get the additional insurance from the rental car company, and his regular car insurance company (safeco?) does not cover it. So, because my insurance company and the rental car company settled on the lesser amount, the rental car company is going after the rental car driver (in Indiana) for the remainder. Now he is threatening to sue me for the remaining amount. Can he sue me? Doesn't he have to go after my insurance company since I have full coverage insurance? And does my insurance company cover me in the event of a lawsuit?

I should also mention that no one was injured - my insurance company has him on tape saying he wasn't injured.

Thanks in advance -

confused:confused:

alnorth

Yes he can sue you, and if he wanted to sue anyone it would be you, not your insurance company. (Your insurance company didnt hit him).

Tell him to stop harassing you, and if he wants to sue then just do it and quit calling. If he does sue, notify your insurance company immediately, and they will defend you. If he wins, your insurance company will pay. You really have nothing to worry about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">