• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billrae

What is the name of your state? IA
THe IRS claimed I filed a wrong return in 2004 and I payed them the difference. New information has come to me. I believe I could have claimed I was insolvent. Is there any way I can now go back and get that money back?

Last edited:

irsos

I don't think you can file an amended return after you are audited, which technically he was. He may need to ask for audit reconsideration since the "audit" dealt with the 1099C. I am only about 75% sure of this answer.

LdiJ

I don't think you can file an amended return after you are audited, which technically he was. He may need to ask for audit reconsideration since the "audit" dealt with the 1099C. I am only about 75% sure of this answer.
I am sure that you are wrong. I am also sure that he wasn't audited. I am sure that the information came through on a CP-2000. I have successfully amended hundreds of returns when changes were made as a result of a non-challenged CP-2000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">