• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writeoff Bad Debt - Bankrupcy ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

john1234567

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi

A guy I loaned money to about 6 years ago has file bankruptcy and I have been notified of the "Discharge of Debtor".

The orginal loan was for 10K, but at the time of bankruptcy he owed me about 17K.
I was not given any information on how much debt was listed on the bankruptcy procedings.

Will I be receiving some sort of 1099 type tax paperwork ?

I assume I can write-off the loan on my taxes but how much ?

And does it have to be off set by Capital Gains or anything like that ?

Thanks
John.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Have you declared the income on your taxes to make the debt grown from $10K to $17K? This would have been interest income.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi

A guy I loaned money to about 6 years ago has file bankruptcy and I have been notified of the "Discharge of Debtor".

The orginal loan was for 10K, but at the time of bankruptcy he owed me about 17K.
I was not given any information on how much debt was listed on the bankruptcy procedings.

Will I be receiving some sort of 1099 type tax paperwork ?

I assume I can write-off the loan on my taxes but how much ?

And does it have to be off set by Capital Gains or anything like that ?

Thanks
John.
If you were listed as a creditor in the bankruptcy proceedings then you should have received some kind of paperwork from the bankruptcy court...but no, you won't receive a 1099. A 1099 is for income received by you.

A nonbusiness bad debt is reported as a short–term capital loss in Part 1 on Form 1040, Schedule D. It would be subject to the capital loss limitations. A nonbusiness bad debt deduction requires a separate detailed statement attached to your return.

Read through the information here and the related links:

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc453.html

abezon

The debt is $10,000. Because you weren't declaring the interest as income, the deductible bad debt is the original $10,000. If you were declaring the interest, then you're an accrual-based taxpayer & have a fancy accountant already.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">