• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming Gas Expenses For Transportation Back N Forth To Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrJoshWilliams

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hey im only 20 years old....So i dont know to much about taxes and how to claim or even what to claim... lets just get that one out of the way...

I was wondering-Is there any way that i can claim the gas expenses back and forth to work everyday on my taxes at the end of the year?

I will even one up that question...

I have been doing some reading and like small buisnesses and even large businesses claim vehicle and gas expenses**************. correct?.... So just because I dont own a business I cant claim my gas because I cant prove that I am actually going back and forth to work.... right...?
So what if i were to take a Taxi back and forth to work every day and save all my receipts could i then claim that?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

TinkerBelleLuvr

No, no, no, no, no, no, no

Commutes to work are NOT TAX DEDUCTIBLE in such manners. There are very complicated exceptions to deductible work expenditures, but they have to be more than the standard deduction to be worth your while.

FlyingRon

Read the transportation expenses of this IRS doc:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

There's a nice picture on page 14 showing when you can deduct.

As Ginny says, you can't deduct expenses for going from home to your primary job location.

It really doesn't matter if you drive yourself, call a cab, or whatever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">