• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident in a parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atlanta_laura

What is the name of your state? GA

I was parked in a parking space at a shopping center. When I pulled into the space, no one was in the spot to my left. As I started opening my door, another car was there and my door hit her car or vice versa. She got out, started yelling, wants me to pay for a scratch 1/2 inches long and paper-thin. We elected to call the police because I would not agree that the incident was my fault. She went into the store, came back out and then said that a dent in the same door was also my fault. It is possible that my door was open first and then she pulled into the space- I don't know. Am I at fault?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are responsible for not making sure the pathway was clear when you opened your door. Your problem (and hers too) will be proving how much damage you actually caused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">