• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blown

What is the name of your state? MS

Ok, So I take my new Nissan truck 07 frontier to the shop for some upgrades. The shop tells me that NOS is the best performance booster for an engine at a cost of around a grand. Well they tell me it is a 3 hour job and I would be able to pick it up same day. Well they call me 2 days later and tell me they blew my engine up or locked it up. Ok now they want me to send it backl to Nissan for warranty work on the motor. I don't feel that this will be the right thing todo. Also, everyone who shops for a vehicl and sees that if the motor has been replaced it probably won't be buying it. I wouldn't buy a truck with a replaced motor would you? I will be without a vehicle for a while as well. The have admitted blame. What should I do?

JustAPal00

If a new motor is put in by Nissan the car will be as good as new. The shop that blew it should pay for it, not the warranty. I doubt the warranty will cover an engine blown because NOX was added!

FlyingRon

A replaced motor isn't going to hurt the value anywhere near as much as finding someone has run aftermarket NOS kits on it.

ecmst12

Seriously. You basically took your brand new car to the shop and said, "Please, blow up my engine!" And now you're surprised that they did?

racer72

Why in the hell would you let someone talk you into running nitrous on a stock engine? NOX is for racing purposes only and it's for high performance engines.

What should I do?
Make them replace the engine.

msiron

You ASKED them to trick out the stupid ass pimp mobile truck and you & the shop should know what can handle NOS and it's not most stock vehicles especially some little foreign truck. And it's not just the engine that can't handle such a SPIKE in boost, you need to have the hardware like crank etc., to back it up.

Tell the shop they are responsible that's why they have insurance.

oh and you have VOIDED your warranty by the so called upgrades.

teflon_jones

While some of the above posters have shown substantial legal knowledge in the past, I can tell that most of them have little automotive knowledge. ;)

NOS is a brand name. Nitrous oxide is the correct term to use. It is perfectly safe to use nitrous to add some power to a pickup truck or any car as long as it's done properly. It's actually a relatively common application in large pickup trucks, which commonly have very heavy duty motors to account for the stresses of towing. The key thing here is that the shop did it improperly, which is why they blew your motor. Your warranty is going to be forfeit and now you won't have the original powertrain coverage on the replacement motor since it won't be replaced under warranty unless the dealer does something shady and files it as a warranty claim. However, for a claim this large, it's sure to be reviewed and it will easily be found out what they did.

ecmst12

All of that is moot... The addition of any aftermarket performance part immediately voids the manufacturer's warrantee.
Well THAT's a sweeping generalization that's totally wrong. Making aftermarket modifications to the engine may indeed void the warrenty, but using any aftermarket parts will NOT. The manufacturer is not allowed to require that you only use OEM parts for ordinary maintenence/repairs in order for the warrenty to be valid.

msiron

While some of the above posters have shown substantial legal knowledge in the past, I can tell that most of them have little automotive knowledge. ;)

NOS is a brand name. Nitrous oxide is the correct term to use. It is perfectly safe to use nitrous to add some power to a pickup truck or any car as long as it's done properly. It's actually a relatively common application in large pickup trucks, which commonly have very heavy duty motors to account for the stresses of towing. The key thing here is that the shop did it improperly, which is why they blew your motor. Your warranty is going to be forfeit and now you won't have the original powertrain coverage on the replacement motor since it won't be replaced under warranty unless the dealer does something shady and files it as a warranty claim. However, for a claim this large, it's sure to be reviewed and it will easily be found out what they did.
I still have a little knowledge as I'm still GM ('world class' tech as GM calls it now) & ASE master certified, L1, C4, C5, and C6. (retired) of course unless your current and have your hand in it all the time, technology moves quickly, I digress.

TJ is right, I was generalizing using the term NOS. I remember reading a number of your posts concerning vehicles and had wondered if you were at an independent or a dealer?

Can your dealer slide it through Nissan warranty or an aftermarket warranty, sure they can try and probably accomplish it if your a good customer who buys from them, (use to do it at my dealer for regular customers) unless a savvy 'warranty rep' shows up and sees some funny business with the truck but the shop that did the work is responsible NOT the manufacturer. They should be carrying allot of liability.

Some possibilities:

1. The engine just couldn't handle it. (was it 70, 150?)
2. They screwed up the switch that operates the nitrous under wot.
3. It blew a rod or piston
4. You say the whole engine is trash then most likely a rod blew through the block

I consider nitrous a hell of allot more than just a little aftermarket mod. Can you say TWIST that motor :eek:

and to others, Tef knows what he is talking about.

Last edited:

JustAPal00

I doubt the speed shop will cover your engine, either. They'll be happy to sell and install any system you choose. Check the fine print on your invoice copy. I'm betting there is a disclaimer on it absolving them of liability to your vehicle.
I think since it happened at the speed shop, the small print is meaningless. I could see if the OP had taken delivery of his ride back and blown it himself. They have an obligation to properly install anything they offer installation on.

JustAPal00

you're right,I thought NOx was the chemical symbol for Nitrous Oxide, but it's N2O. I knew NOS was a brand, My kids have a PS2!

msiron

The most painless way, is to tell them to put it back the way it was, have it towed to the dealer and shut up, play dumb, (make sure there is clean oil and no signs of abuse., Nissan will replace it, or

The 'shop' is taking the blame so have them replace the motor as they should, that's why they have insurance. Even if they won't accept blame they wouldn't get far.

moburkes

I'm gad this wasn't a real insurance question, cause I don't know what the hell you all are arguing about.

I'll just say:

What he said. And, what she said.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">