• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I expect???? Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momof4boys

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My 13 year old son and four of his friends were in the woods around our block. It seems that while my son did light a leaf and put it out, his friends also lite a bunch of things. My son wasn't the first to light something and also wasn't the one that brought the matches. I believe they did put everything out, but the fire squad was called. Later, officers went to one of the boys home. I received a call that I need to accompany my son to the police station tomorrow. The officer would not discuss anything about it on the phone but said that I needed to complete paperwork and be read rights. My son is a really good kid and knows he made a mistake. It's his first time ever in trouble with the law. What should I expect??

The Occultist

I'm afraid nobody here is psychic.

And just to let you know, there is nothing in your nice little story about how your son was more innocent than everybody else that suggests that he was in fact more innocent than everybody else.

momof4boys

Not Blind!

I realize that my son obviously was involved here, and I am in no way saying he's more innocent than anyone else. Thanks for the criticism, however, what I'm looking for is someone with knowledge, that can explain what the possibilities are. Hopefully someone with that knowledge can respond, rather than criticize.

BL

I realize that my son obviously was involved here, and I am in no way saying he's more innocent than anyone else. Thanks for the criticism, however, what I'm looking for is someone with knowledge, that can explain what the possibilities are. Hopefully someone with that knowledge can respond, rather than criticize.
You weren't there and do not know exactly what transpired .

You'll just have to wait and see .

19225-004

Your son is 13? And there was no real serious fire that damaged anything? I got caught playing with fire a few times when I was younger, my guess is that since he's young and nothing that serious happened, the police just wanna scare him, they'll probably give him a scary warning or some fake punishment that only seems bad to a 13 year old, and tell him that if he ever does it again he'll go to jail. Thats if its just some burnt leaves. If the fire is actually bigger than you and I are aware of and something was damaged, then it will probably be worse.

Last edited:

Indiana Filer

Your son is 13? And there was no real serious fire that damaged anything? I got caught playing with fire a few times when I was younger, my guess is that since he's young and nothing that serious happened, the police just wanna scare him, they'll probably give him a scary warning or some fake punishment that only seems bad to a 13 year old, and tell him that if he ever does it again he'll go to jail.
I disagree completely with you. In my experience as a juvenile probation officer, this sounds like Criminal Mischief.

After the police interview the juvenile, he might be arrested and given a Promise to Appear at their county juvenile probation office. The intake officer (aka probation officer) will make a recommendation to the prosecutor about how to handle the case: to file a petition, informally adjust the case, dismiss the case, or refer the juvenile to another agency.

13 is a little old to "play" with fire, unless he has some sort of mental disability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">