• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

conflict of interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dan f

What is the name of your state? Arizona

If both parties of an auto accident are insured by the same insurer. Is there a conflict
of interest , on the part of the insurer? There are post accident injuries caused by accident.

FlyingRon

Actually, with my insurance company it actually works better when the other party is insured by my company. For straight property damage and medical expenses, they know they're going to pay one way or another so they're pretty prompt. If you were going to sue for additional stuff, they wouldn't have helped much as aid to the plaintiff anyhow (regardless of whether you were suing someone represented by a different company).

alnorth

No, and it could end up working out more smoothly than it otherwise would have with two insurance companies trying to blame the other side, delays because the other side is reluctant to release details, etc. When one policyholder hits another policyholder for the same insurance company, the insurance company knows they will have to pay the damage and there isnt an unknown other side to drag information out of.

las365

The firm I work for used to do defense work for a major insurance company, let's call it "Daisy". Many of the cases we defended were Daisy's insureds who were sued by other Daisy insureds because of auto accidents. Please note, we defended the Daisy insured who had allegedly caused the accident, we did not defend the insurance company. It's an important distinction that many people do not understand.

Anyway, the sense I got from the cases we handled was that the adjusting of the cases (evaluation of fault and damages and negotiating settlement) by Daisy was pretty much the same no matter who the carriers were for each driver. There didn't seem to be any extra consideration to the claimant/Plaintiff because s/he was also a Daisy insured.

We handled a lot of lawsuits for that company.

dan f

Thanks to all

Well that makes me feel a little bit better about being in the crocodile's jaws. There is a very critical distinction in suing an insurance company and suing the epitamy of of sweet 16. Thanks to all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">