• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was only a witness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jcallen03

What is the name of your state? WI

While driving, a pickup pulling a utility trailer in front of me rear ended a FedEX truck. It was at low speed and looked pretty minor. I drove around the accident and went on my way. 3 months or so later, I got a letter from the pickup truck's insurance asking for my insurance information. The pickup driver said that I rear-ended him. There is no damage to my vehicle. Both insurance adjustors came out and took pictures. They said there was no way I could have rear-ended someone. The pickup driver has 2 passengers with him that also insist I rear-ended them. It seems obvious to me what happened. The trailer did not have brakes so when the pickup braked, the trailer pushed him into the fedex truck. The driver claims there is damage to the trailer. The only damage he can point on is a broken taillight. It would be impossible for me to push a trailer and pickup truck into another vehicle by hitting the taillight.

Are there any good resources for me regarding a case like this?

In December, it will be 3 years since it happened. Part of the delay is because the FedEx driver is suing for injuries.

ecmst12

Report it to your insurance company, they will defend you. It doesn't sound like the pickup truck driver has much of a case.

jcallen03

Thanks for the response. I knew I forgot some important information. My insurance company is working on the case with their lawyers but their lawyers seem to think the pickup driver has a good case since he is an eye witness along with the 2 passengers in his truck. I was wondering if I could pursue any avenues on my own.

moburkes

Sure, you can hire an attorney to defend yourself. The attorney will likely cost more than the at fault accident on your record, though.

las365

You can hire an attorney at your own expense to review what the lawyer provided by your insurance carrier is doing.

If you did not hit the trailer/pickup and all you did was see the accident happen in front of you and then drive away, I have to say it seems odd to me that anyone would have written down your license plate number and tracked you down to blame you for the accident. Is that how they found you? Did you stop at the scene and give your information to someone as a witness?

What kind of vehicle were you driving?

lawyers seem to think the pickup driver has a good case since he is an eye witness along with the 2 passengers in his truck
Well, yeah. But then again, based on your claims and hypotheses, an accident reconstructionist should be able to provide an ironclad defense that you did not and could not have hit the trailer. :rolleyes:

ecmst12

None of the people in the pickup will be considered an independent witness since they are all biased.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">