• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money from the DOT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Georgia
Dot paid me $1700 for a temporary essement to make improvements on their existing right away. Also due to lowering the street they will lower sidewalks and grade my property and drive way to accomadate the grade change. This will cause me to loose many trees and plants. DOT gave me $20,000 for lose of the plants and trees. I had hired an ardorist who made a complete report which says the plants and trees were acually worth $41,000. so my question is will I have to pay tax on this money or can I argue that my actual lose was twice the money received so no taxes.

abezon

You report the payments on Schedule D, then set the basis equal to the amount received & have no income. You reduce your basis in the property by the amount received.

You mean similar as to the way I do stocks just make the basis and the money received equal? If that is correct then what do I use in the name line and do I just show one share or leave that blank I guess?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">